Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Run VMware Tools automatically?

How would I run VMware toolbox automatically?

Running it automaticlly isn't the problem. VMware won't run at all after the initial installation.

I also thought that VMware tools would run on BT3......

Just burned his ISO

same problem me to

How would I run VMware toolbox automatically?

Running it automaticlly isn't the problem.
    *confused*

But:

1. CTRL+D ( or VM-> Settings...)
    2. Tab Options
    3. >Power
    4. Run VMware Tools scripts ...
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Just burned his ISO

I don't understand the post, are there issues running the vmware-install.pl script in vmware-tools-distrib? Or is it because of an error starting the vmware-toolbox?

If it is vmware-instal.pl giving issues, have you previously downloaded the appropriate kernel headers? Get kernel sources from wiki.remote-exploit.org and extract them to /usr/src/linux/

Once you have the header files you can run vmware-install.pl which will actually build the tools from scratch.

What I mean is that the vmware tools that allow you to smoothly drag items from your desktop to the bt3 desktop (or even just move your mouse in and out of bt3 without using CTR+ALT) don't work when the bt3 OS boots.

Does it need some time to start? Am I too impatient? Or should it be available as soon as the BT3 OS loads?

Quote Originally Posted by squishyalt View Post
    What I mean is that the vmware tools that allow you to smoothly drag items from your desktop to the bt3 desktop (or even just move your mouse in and out of bt3 without using CTR+ALT) don't work when the bt3 OS boots.

Does it need some time to start? Am I too impatient? Or should it be available as soon as the BT3 OS loads?
    It does work just fine in VMware fusion for me. I think you will have to install it manually, atleast I had to, and then reboot the guest OS before it will work.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO alchemyandthunder's Avatar

What exactly are the steps to installing VMWare Tools on/in BackTrack?
    I've been running BackTrack distros for several months and have always just dealt with clicking in and out, and Control+Commanding in and out.
    I noticed that the virtual machine supplied by the Aircrack-ng team (Aircrack.vmx) has this preinstalled in their download (that or it just works) which is convenient. BackTrack is the only virtual machine that I've had trouble doing this with.

Sorry for having to blatantly ask, but unfortunately, the search function didn't yield much.
    Thanks in advance, guys.

Edit: Oiy, my title is "just burned his ISO." How annoying and untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by alchemyandthunder View Post
    What exactly are the steps to installing VMWare Tools on/in BackTrack?
    I've been running BackTrack distros for several months and have always just dealt with clicking in and out, and Control+Commanding in and out.
    I noticed that the virtual machine supplied by the Aircrack-ng team (Aircrack.vmx) has this preinstalled in their download (that or it just works) which is convenient. BackTrack is the only virtual machine that I've had trouble doing this with.

Sorry for having to blatantly ask, but unfortunately, the search function didn't yield much.
    Thanks in advance, guys.

Edit: Oiy, my title is "just burned his ISO." How annoying and untrue.
    As far as I remember you have to choose the install VMware tools option under VMware. You get the required files mounted under BT3 at this point and then simply have to follow the installation instructions that are provided with the installation files. VMware will then suggest to compile a custom build of the tools since the kernel does not seem to be standard. Accept this and reboot BT once the installation is completed.

If you have any problems I can take a closer look once I am at home, but the whole process really was quite simple and nothing too involved.

Just burned his ISO alchemyandthunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    As far as I remember you have to choose the install VMware tools option under VMware. You get the required files mounted under BT3 at this point and then simply have to follow the installation instructions that are provided with the installation files. VMware will then suggest to compile a custom build of the tools since the kernel does not seem to be standard. Accept this and reboot BT once the installation is completed.

If you have any problems I can take a closer look once I am at home, but the whole process really was quite simple and nothing too involved.
    Yeah, I've clicked the menu item, opened the mount to view files, aaaaaaand there aren't any files in there. None. Which is half the reason this thing continues to throw me off.

But yeah, take a look at it when you get the chance. I'd really appreciate it. I'm sure I'm not the first idiot that has seen this and has been dumbfounded by it.

Thanks, =Tron=.

Also, if I end up getting this worked out before that happens, I'll be sure to post my findings for the community.

Quote Originally Posted by alchemyandthunder View Post
    Yeah, I've clicked the menu item, opened the mount to view files, aaaaaaand there aren't any files in there. None. Which is half the reason this thing continues to throw me off.

But yeah, take a look at it when you get the chance. I'd really appreciate it. I'm sure I'm not the first idiot that has seen this and has been dumbfounded by it.

Thanks, =Tron=.

Also, if I end up getting this worked out before that happens, I'll be sure to post my findings for the community.
    That sounds rather weird. What version of VMware are you running, VMware Fusion I assume since you have a Macbook?

When I choose "Install VMware Tools" in Fusion I first get a disclaimer stating "Installing the VMware Tools will greatly enhance..." and once I choose install a virtual CD will be mounted. This include two files: manifest.txt and VMwareTools-e.x.p-116369.tar.gz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast