Thread: Only get a few hours out of it...

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Default Only get a few hours out of it...

I can only run Backtrack 3 Final on my laptop for a few hours until it freezes. What happens is firstly it freezes for a few seconds, and then it comes free again. About ten seconds later, it will freeze again. These freezes become more frequent and for longer duration each time. Within a minute, the system becomes unusable and I'm holding in the power button for 10 seconds.

I can leave Windows XP on overnight so it's not an inherent problem in the laptop.

What's the best way of going about troubleshooting this? I was thinking of looking at what processes are consuming what resources, see which one of them is hogging the CPU, but I only have experience doing this in Windows. How would I do this in Linux, perhaps by using "top -c" or "ps -aux".

Any ideas?

top should do the trick!
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

BT3 includes a nice application that displays the top processes and some other cpu related information called conky
    When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean. -- Lin-Chi
    - - - - - - - -
    I slept once, it was a Tuesday.