Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gslapt does not even launch....

Default SOLVED: Gslapt does not even launch....

I'll try this again....and I'll try and keep it simple for you....

I've installed backtrack, and run the Fast Track updates, but Gslapt does not launch and it has no icon next to it on the system menu.

I posted this before, but it evidently created so much mass confusion that it was deleted.

Just ask if you don't understand something. (That's what I'm trying to do...)

Quote Originally Posted by squishyalt View Post
    I'll try this again....and I'll try and keep it simple for you....

I've installed backtrack, and run the Fast Track updates, but Gslapt does not launch and it has no icon next to it on the system menu.

I posted this before, but it evidently created so much mass confusion that it was deleted.

Just ask if you don't understand something. (That's what I'm trying to do...)
    Just to confirm a few points, I take it that you mean that you have installed slapt-get through Fast Track as this would be required for Gslapt to run? What is the output that you get if you try to launch Gslapt using the command line?
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Just to confirm a few points, I take it that you mean that you have installed slapt-get through Fast Track as this would be required for Gslapt to run? What is the output that you get if you try to launch Gslapt using the command line?
    Nice to see you again Tron.

I cannot find gslapt at /usr/sbin/gslapt (as listed in the properties of the menu link). Nor can I find it anywhere in the file system.

I have, to the best of my ability, run the Fast Track updates (both from a command line and from the web gui).

I am kinda stuck here....

Just burned his ISO

Hello, I am not 100% sure this is right, but Gslapt is a front end for slapt get. Slapt get was NOT installed in this version and neither was Gslapt. Gslapt however is in the menu. I could be wrong and probably am, but I think when they made BT3, they were going to use Gslapt and changed there minds or something, removed the program, but forgot to remove it from the menu. They have so many different things to keep track of, it is understandable it is like that. Now the good news is, this has been discusssed quite a few times on the forum, all you have to do is use the search with keywords like gslapt and slapt get and you should find out how to install it pretty easy. Hope this helps.

Just burned his ISO

I would also like to add...

my newbie guess to why they changed there minds and did not install slapt get/gslapt is that they have it working right and updates could break something, and did away with the tempatation to update easy.

Peace

Butch

Search, there is a thread dedicated to 'slapt-get' with the fix then installed gslapt.

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    Search, there is a thread dedicated to 'slapt-get' with the fix then installed gslapt.
    I couldn't find it.

This whole make-an-entire-distro-when-a-package-would-do thing still puzzles the hell out of me.

Why would you waste precious developer resources on developing an entire distro when it seems (I emphasize SEEMS) much simpler to develop a pentesting package for a distro with a solid developer base and a large community.

Believe it or not, ease-of-use even counts in pentesting.

I couldn't find it.
    Try harder
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=15085
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=10433

This whole make-an-entire-distro-when-a-package-would-do thing still puzzles the hell out of me.

Why would you waste precious developer resources on developing an entire distro when it seems (I emphasize SEEMS) much simpler to develop a pentesting package for a distro with a solid developer base and a large community.
    The developers have done a great job, releasing it as a whole distro also means their not stamping all over some other distro. People recognise Backtrack as it Backtrack, if it were a lzm module or bundle installer the work involved would be probably dismissed.

Believe it or not, ease-of-use even counts in pentesting.
    True but so does research and a learning curve. There are plenty of tools available for Windows if thats what you want.

Default Solved

Solution: From a Konsole window type "slapt-get --update && slapt-get --install gslapt" and hit enter.

Default re: gslapt install cmd success

Solution: From a Konsole window type "slapt-get --update && slapt-get --install gslapt" and hit enter.
    this command worked for me. and before that managed to fix the files etc. the howto's on this site are brilliant i am a noob and has taken me 6 days to get the bt3 final installed correctly and took me just a day/night to fix the files inorder to update.

*bump for that command*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast