Thread: BT4 final on usb: share updates among Persistent and live version

Just burned his ISO

Question BT4 final on usb: share updates among Persistent and live version

Hi guys, i'm looking for a good way to reach my goal: having a live version always updated without using an external pc, iso or something like this.

Actually i have done some tests, with negative results.

I have on my usb pen the BT4 final installed and i have correctly enabled the persistent support for my "Persistent Live" entry and it is upgraded. Rebooting and starting a live version from the same pen, i'm not able to see those updated packages.

Anybody knows how i can have it?

Thanks in advance who can help me!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: BT4 final on usb: share updates among Persistent and live version

You could try this: Offline Package Management for APT
    Not sure if it is what you are looking for or not.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for your interest, but that isn't what i'looking for.

Maybe my bad english language doesn't help the explaination.
    I'll try to make a new example:

Install BT4 on USB pen, enabling the persistent feature, so you have 2 possibility for the same installation: run it as persistent or not.

Now launch it as persistent and update it. After this, reboot the system and start bt as live version instead of the persistent.

You'll see that your updates are not available for that version. Persistent and live version seem living in 2 separate area, also if they are booted from the same usb pen...

Obiviously, if add a new packet in the persistent version, i'd like to see it in the live...

Maybe now is it clearer?
    Last edited by E.Hyde; 02-19-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: adding details

Quote Originally Posted by E.Hyde View Post
    Now launch it as persistent and update it. After this, reboot the system and start bt as live version instead of the persistent.
    that seems much clearer. i think the problem you're experiencing is either your 'live version' on the usb stick is referencing another filesystem (the 'live filesystem') rather than your persistent filesystem, or your live grub entry isn't configured to use the same kernel as the persistent version.

it really depends on how you have it installed and how it's configured. what tutorial did you follow?
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Just burned his ISO

I have seen video on offensive security and i modified that procedure in base of my possibilities, it means bypassing the copy from cd to usb, but using unebootin instead.

Simply i have:

-. partition 1, bootable as fat32
    - partition 2, casper, ext3
    (both created following video tut)
    After this i have used unebootin to burn bt4 iso to my pen.
    That's all...

Maybe did i forget any steps?!

unetbootin doesn't "burn" the iso to your pendrive; it copies over system files from the iso and creates and installs it's own bootloader (syslinux).
    see teh UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads website under "How does UNetbootin work, and what does it do?".

follow the instructions to the tee without using unetbootin, and you shouldn't run into problems regarding your persistent version. as for your problem with sharing updates between the persistent and live - they use two different filesystems. on top of that, it makes absolutely no sense to me to use both from the same pendrive, other than from a strict forensics pov.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks Spiidey,

follow the instructions to the tee without using unetbootin, and you shouldn't run into problems regarding your persistent version. as for your problem with sharing updates between the persistent and live - they use two different filesystems.
    i can not understand reading your reply if i can or not have the situation that i want... Cose they use 2 different file systems i can not in any cases share the updates?!

As regard, instead, the usefulness of this situation, i think that the advantages are obvious: the advantage of the live version is that it works clean, without leaving any traces. In my idea, i can have a always updated BT version to use for my jobs, in live mode!

Just burned his ISO

Hi to all,

finally i have understood what Spiidey was trying to say to me.
    Yersterday evening i spent my time to study the structure of BT usb version, analyzing it from a linux system and i have seen also the part that Win (my common system used) hides me and i now it is all clearer.

Thanks in advanace to brigante, for the private talk.

This topic can be considered closed: my final choose was persistent with filesystem encription.