Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Testing WEP

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    27

    Default Testing WEP

    Hi... I tried to follow the step-by-step tutorials on cracking WEP Wifi... I've encountered some weird errors and was hoping that someone shed some light...
    Note: I wasn't able to copy all exact error message so please bear with me.

    1. When i used airodump-ng(at least i think it was airodump), it says something like the AP is on channel 6 While wifi is on channel 9.

    What's weird is that I just redo the code over and over again until both channels match. Then it goes through without errors. Is this the right way to do it? I know not seeing any errors doesn't mean that it works perfectly hehehe.

    2. When i try to associate my wifi to the AP is says Successful then goes back and tries to associate again.

    3. Im guessing I did something wrong somewhere cause even after having like 500,000 captured it still says 0 ARP.

    Thanks in advance guys and more power!!!
    Dum spiro spero

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by porbista View Post
    1. When i used airodump-ng(at least i think it was airodump), it says something like the AP is on channel 6 While wifi is on channel 9.

    What's weird is that I just redo the code over and over again until both channels match. Then it goes through without errors. Is this the right way to do it? I know not seeing any errors doesn't mean that it works perfectly hehehe.
    Most likely your wireless card is channel hopping, i.e. rapidly changing through the whole spectrum of available channels, which is why you have to repeat the command until your wireless card happens to be on the same channel as the one the AP is broadcasting on. Make sure not to run airodump-ng or kismet in the background without locking onto the correct channel as this will cause your card to channel hop.
    Quote Originally Posted by porbista View Post
    2. When i try to associate my wifi to the AP is says Successful then goes back and tries to associate again.

    3. Im guessing I did something wrong somewhere cause even after having like 500,000 captured it still says 0 ARP.
    Are you sure that your AP is using WEP encryption and not WPA?
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Thanks for the quick reply.

    Yup you might be right with number 1. I did have both kismet and airodump-ng running in the background. Im getting confused with all the tutorials I encountered. Some says to leave both programs running in the background as you gather IVS(is this what it's called?).

    Oh and yes Im sure its using WEP. I checked it while checking for the current WEP Key. Does WEP-Open mean anything different than what's typical?

    Thanks again.
    Dum spiro spero

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by porbista View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply.

    Yup you might be right with number 1. I did have both kismet and airodump-ng running in the background. Im getting confused with all the tutorials I encountered. Some says to leave both programs running in the background as you gather IVS(is this what it's called?).
    Yes it is correct that you will need to run airodump-ng or some other capturing program in order to collect the packets, or IVs which are the relevant part for WEP cracking. However as hinted in my previous post you should lock down airodump-ng to listen to only the appropriate channel to prevent it from channel hopping, this can be done utilizing the –c switch.

    Quote Originally Posted by porbista View Post
    Oh and yes Im sure its using WEP. I checked it while checking for the current WEP Key. Does WEP-Open mean anything different than what's typical?

    Thanks again.
    No the “open” part only defines the authentication method that is used, and open is the standard and most easily compromised one. Make sure that you are close enough to the AP to be able to successfully authenticate with it and that there is no MAC-filter in place preventing you from doing it.

    If you still are unable to solve your problem, post the exact commands that you use including the corresponding output from the program.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •