Thread: Wifi not recognized by backtrack3

Just burned his ISO

Default Wifi not recognized by backtrack3

I have a brand new Lenovo ThinkPad R61i and my wifi card is a
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG and I can't seem to get it to work and it is not recognized by bt2, bt3, Koppix STD, Knoppix, and Phlak. I pull up a terminal and do a ifconfig and all that shows up every time is lo no ath0 or nothing. Do you think this is because it is not supported by madwifi or what. Please if anyone can help or give me some tips/advice it will be greatly appreciated. Also i am looking into buying a pcmcia card and I was wondering what would be a good card to use for like karma, airpwn, ettercap, and other wifi apps and would be supported right out of the box?

Try
    Code:
     modprobe iwl3945

Quote Originally Posted by Xakep View Post
    I have a brand new Lenovo ThinkPad R61i and my wifi card is a
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG and I can't seem to get it to work
    As marked said , first try "modprobe iwl3945"

Then do a "ifconfig -a" to show all interfaces , even that ones not runing yet.
    Then do a "ifconfig wlan0 up" to start your wireless card (wlan0 can be different for you)

Also i am looking into buying a pcmcia card and I was wondering what would be a good card to use for like karma, airpwn, ettercap, and other wifi apps and would be supported right out of the box?
    The Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG works fine for everything you want to do, i use the same and it works like a charm.
    Anyway, if you attempt to buy another card, look at one of the numerous threads here. This question is one of the most discussed here on the forum.
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Just burned his ISO

Thankyou guys for the quick replys. As you can see I am a linux_n00b. I have only been using linux for about 1 month now and I recently went out and got a full list of linux commands and put them on a USB stick so I can access them when I boot up backtrack! Thanks for the tip on the ifcomand -a and then ifconfig wlan0 up I am about to boot up BT3 and test it out. also on my laptop I have been having trubble with the display on bt3 the desktop only covers a section of the screen and not the rest. Do you know anything that I can do to fix this? Thanks guys for all the help I GREATLY appreciat it!

Just burned his ISO

Thanks guys i just tested it out and it works perfectly! I appreciate the great help and I added those commands to my list in the text doc!