Thread: I can't install acer_acpi on an acer 5520 - can anybody help?

Just burned his ISO

Default I can't install acer_acpi on an acer 5520 - can anybody help?

I have an acer 5520 with an Atheros 5007eg wifi card I am running backtrack3_final from a usb stick in persistent mode (and vesa kde).

My 5007 won't pickup any access points during its scan (although I can put it into monitor mode from airmon-ng), I'm assuming that its not properly turning on because it uses a (software) switch to do so.

So I am trying to install acer_acpi (as reccommened by Tron) - but I am having trouble (because (I think) when I boot into BT3, I have to do so with "acpi=off naoapic" cheats on.).So when I try to install acer_acpi it stumbles because acpi is off.

As far as i can make out (from google) some acer's have a broken acpi (something to do with a dsdt table). So I might need to fix /patch that first.

I have been struggling with this for a few days now and I was wondering if maybe somebody could help me....

Just to recap what happens when I try to install acer_acpi

I get the acer_acpi package and run the "make" and "make install".

I get 2 warnings during the "make" command
    "WARNING: "led_classdev_register" [/boot/acer/acer_acpi.ko] undefined!
    "WARNING: "led_classdev_unregister" [/boot/acer/acer_acpi.ko] undefined!
    (/boot/acer/ is where I am trying to install the package from on my usb stick)

the "make install" command appears to work correctly and copies wmi-acer.ko and acer_acpi.ko to /lib/mdules/2.6.21.5/extra/ (I have checked that they are indeed there).The depmod 2.6.21.5 -a command does'nt throw up any error.

when I try to modprobe acer-acpi - I get the error
    WARNING: Error inserting wmi_acer (/lib/modules/2.6.21.5/extra/wmi-acer.ko): No such device
    FATAL: Error inserting acer_acpi (/lib/modules/2.6.21.5/extra/acer_acpi.ko) Unknown
    symbol in module or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

dmesg itself says at the end
    acer_acpi: Unkown symbol wmi_acer _has_guid
    acer_acpi: Unkown symbol wmi_acer _has_evaluate_method
    acer_acpi: Unkown symbol wmi_acer _has_query_block

Hopefully somebody can help

Many Thanks

Just burned his ISO

same here... =_(

ive tried everything and nothing helps.. =/

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigorwrz View Post
    same here... =_(

ive tried everything and nothing helps.. =/
    Yeah - I saw your threads when I was searching the forums and realised that we were having the same problem

As far as I can see the main issue that we are having is that we can't use our wireless cards because we can't load acer_acpi due to the fact that we have to diasble acpi in order to boot. So to get acer_acpi working we must get our systems to boot with acpi on.

hxxp://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=122145

This thread talks about buggy dsdt tables being the problem for acpi not working (although this is in fact for a gateway machine) and a quick google around shows that quite a lot of different acer machines have this problem
    Like for my machine (5520) there is this thread which actually has a fixed dsdt.aml

hxxp://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3928098&postcount=21

Unfortunately I'm just not fluent enough with linux to try this on backtrack...!

Maybe somebody who is more proficient can help... or at least let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree

Just burned his ISO

Default Acer 5520, black screen of death.. haha

I have booted of the live CD just to see. I have tired the different modes but it goes to this black screen. If I press the power button, then I see the Beautiful Backtrack GUI install. Then is does not do anything.
    The last line says: Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled.

I am going to see if Ubunto works.

Any ideas
    Thanks in Advance.

Just burned his ISO

well,

ive tried this too... but i think im not so expert in linux to make this works! hehehe
    so nothing worked, the AML doesnt worked with my Acer... i dont know why... hehe
    ive tried everything, and nothing make this works..

im getting Ubuntu live CD today... maybe it works... if work, i will install some aircrack on there and forget about Backtrack.. =/

cya

rodrigo

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by nataz View Post
    I have booted of the live CD just to see. I have tired the different modes but it goes to this black screen. If I press the power button, then I see the Beautiful Backtrack GUI install. Then is does not do anything.
    The last line says: Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled.
    I am going to see if Ubunto works.
    Any ideas
    Thanks in Advance.
    press tab on the vesa kde boot option, then type "acpi=off noapic" to disable acpi - you should be able to boot ok then, however you will have the same problem as rodrigorwrz and myself - which is that we can't get our wireless cards to switch on.

well,
    ive tried this too... but i think im not so expert in linux to make this works! hehehe
    so nothing worked, the AML doesnt worked with my Acer... i dont know why... hehe
    ive tried everything, and nothing make this works..
    im getting Ubuntu live CD today... maybe it works... if work, i will install some aircrack on there and forget about Backtrack.. =/
    cya
    rodrigo
    Lol - We're stumbling at the same block - i.e a lack of linux knowledge ...
    Ubuntu live works for me as virtualbox image - although I have'nt tested it as a liveCD
    Good luck

Just burned his ISO

Lol - We're stumbling at the same block - i.e a lack of linux knowledge ...
    Ubuntu live works for me as virtualbox image - although I have'nt tested it as a liveCD
    Good luck
    Ive installed the lastest Ubuntu Live, works fine... but no Wireless card, but i have ACPI working...
    Im doing today a USB Version of Ubuntu, to make persistent changes. Ive found a tutorial in portuguese explaining how to install our wireless on Ubuntu...
    Soo... when i finish everything, i will put here a how to on ubuntu, ok?

cya

Rodrigo

Just burned his ISO

Ive installed the lastest Ubuntu Live, works fine... but no Wireless card, but i have ACPI working...
    Im doing today a USB Version of Ubuntu, to make persistent changes. Ive found a tutorial in portuguese explaining how to install our wireless on Ubuntu...
    Soo... when i finish everything, i will put here a how to on ubuntu, ok?
    cya
    Rodrigo
    Well I might have beaten you to the punch!!!
    I downloaded the latest version of slax (on which backtrack is based I think) - slax-6.0.7, trawled their forums and found that if I use modules (just dump the files in /slax/modules/):

eeedrivers-607.lzm
    hxxp://download.tuxfamily.org/box/lzm/eeedrivers-607.lzm

and

madwifi.lzm
    hxxp://backtrack.serveftp.com/backtrack/S6Mirror/Modules/madwifi.lzm

That my 5007eg wireless card works straight away with no messing about!!

All I then needed was to get copies of the various apps required (e.g airmon-ng, airodump-ng, etc.)
    So I did the lazy thing and grabbed usr.lzm (505mg) from backtrack itself and just doubleclicked on it to load it.

I then typed;

airmon-ng stop ath0
    airmon-ng start wifi0

to put my card into monitor mode and I was set!

I have actually cracked my 1st access point!! Admittedly I put my encryption down to 64bit just to to test it .

Anyway if you don't have any luck with ubuntu maybe you should try slax...

Just burned his ISO

tinybilbo, did you solve the problem ?
    Or did one of the other guys?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by trixer1 View Post
    tinybilbo, did you solve the problem ?
    Or did one of the other guys?
    Sure! ;D
    Everything is working now.

Ive downloaded the lastest version of SLAX, and installed the eeedrivers. Just put it on the modules folder. And then configured to run SLAX on my pendrive, so I installled all aircrack things and now I have aircrack working with my wireless card working too.

Thanks goes to TINYBILBO!

Backtrack is not compatible with Acer 5520.

If you have any questions, see bilbo post.

Cya

Rodrigo