Thread: Install 2.6.24.5 kernel-headers?

Default Install 2.6.24.5 kernel-headers?

Hi all, I am trying to get Compiz working on BT3 and this is my current problem I'm trying to fix. I am using kernel 2.6.24.5 on BT3 instead of the default 2.6.21.5 because I need to use a USB boot disk on my laptop. Anyway, I'm trying to install a new Nvidia driver and when I run the Nvidia installer it fails because I still have the 2.6.21.5 kernel-headers installed. I don't know much about the kernel and the time I've spent on Google isn't helping me much. How can I replace the 2.6.21.5 headers with the 2.6.24.5 headers? Any help or a point the in right direction is awesome. Thanks!

Changing the kernel is going to seriously screw up most of the applications, as they were compiled with the kernel headers you are trying to replace.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by ESC201 View Post
    Hi all, I am trying to get Compiz working on BT3 and this is my current problem I'm trying to fix. I am using kernel 2.6.24.5 on BT3 instead of the default 2.6.21.5 because I need to use a USB boot disk on my laptop. Anyway, I'm trying to install a new Nvidia driver and when I run the Nvidia installer it fails because I still have the 2.6.21.5 kernel-headers installed. I don't know much about the kernel and the time I've spent on Google isn't helping me much. How can I replace the 2.6.21.5 headers with the 2.6.24.5 headers? Any help or a point the in right direction is awesome. Thanks!
    just dl the 2.6.24.5 headers package and then install it

(I'm just stating the obvious. Undoubtedly you probably have tried this already.)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Changing the kernel is going to seriously screw up most of the applications, as they were compiled with the kernel headers you are trying to replace.
    I've been using 2.6.24.5 for about three months now and I have not had many problems. Whenever I have compatibility issues, I usually find the files I need in Slax 6.0.7 (which uses 2.6.24.5) and migrate them into BT.

Quote Originally Posted by Recycle View Post
    just dl the 2.6.24.5 headers package and then install it
    (I'm just stating the obvious. Undoubtedly you probably have tried this already.)
    Yes I have tried that...kind of. I was only able to find one package for 2.6.24.5 which was made for Slackware and I don't think it was even the right architecture. Needless to say, it didn't work.

As I said above, I've tried my usual solution, I have copied the /usr/src/linux-2.6.24.5/ directory from Slax 6.0.7 and this time I link build and source in the /lib/modules/2.6.24.5/ directory and linux in /usr/src/ to /usr/src/linux-2.6.24.5/ and now I am getting some other error with the Nvidia installer so maybe it worked. Anyway, I'm working on fixing that issue now before I can move on.