Thread: os fingerprinting

Default os fingerprinting

could sum1 plz explain the concept of OS fingerprinting? its used to determine wut operating systems are using a certain AP, correct?

does anyone know of a good tutorial on how to use any of the os fingerprinting programs in BT3?

thank you in advance

nmap -sV -O (your target IP here)

You can fingerprint more that just AP's. In fact, just about any device connected to a network will do. The above command will portscan your target to see what services are running. Afterward, it will probe the services and try to determine the exact version. Based on the results, you can make a guess what operating system is running on the target machine. Some services and open/closed ports are specific to Microsoft Windows (fingerprint) while others are more specific to linux. It really depends on the configuration of the target host you're scanning, and based on the scan results you make a "guess" about what OS the machine is running.

There are a number of fingerprinting/port scanning tools, but nmap is the most popular and widely used.
    I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

Quote Originally Posted by benzslr123 View Post
    could sum1 plz explain the concept of OS fingerprinting? its used to determine wut operating systems are using a certain AP, correct?

does anyone know of a good tutorial on how to use any of the os fingerprinting programs in BT3?

thank you in advance
    Dude, really, you could at least try.

Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Talking

Haha cute kitty Barry :P
    .. Sometimes I think spelling like that is actually deliberate.
    - Poul Wittig

Duh, diz iz da Interwebz!

JMC31337

YES!!! LOL!! good kitty... the best tutorial is your friend GOOGLE

Quote Originally Posted by Deathray View Post
    Haha cute kitty Barry :P
    .. Sometimes I think spelling like that is actually deliberate.
    Yeah, it's just embarrassing the that US native English speakers can't, won't, or are too stupid to write properly, whereas someone like yourself, to whom it's a second language, get it right much more often.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

When i try to run nmap as you recommended it gives me the following error:

read_arp_reply_pcap called on interfaces that is datatype 119 rahter than DLT_EN10MB (1)
    QUITTING!

What did I do wrong?

P.S.
    From now on I'll be sure to type in proper English on this forum... My apologies.