Thread: BT3-USB on HDD (as live-System)

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default BT3-USB on HDD (as live-System)

Hello,

i want install the BT3-USB Version on an HDD with Windows by using the NT-Bootloader of Windows XP. (but no real-BT3 installation, only the small live-install)

BT3 is running fine on an SD or USB-Stick installation with "changes"

But I donīt want everytime use the Stick or SD-Card(plug in plug out ). I want integratet the System in the HDD.

now:
    c: win 98 (FAT32)
    d: win XP (FAT32)
    e: BT3-usb folders (FAT32)
    f: data-Files(share-folder for all Systems)
    g: ext2 (for changes Folder, then BT3 ist running on HDD

I want the live install on HDD, not the real install with 4,2GB!!!

I have copied the Folderīs from the USB Stick on e: (BT3 an boot)

And now i want configure the NT-Bootloader from Win XP, so that i can boot the BT3.

dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/tmp/bootsek.lin bs=512 count=1 and integration in the boot.ini doesnīt run. (i think this is only usefull for an real install)

Have anybody an Idea?
    Amilo Xi1554 with T7200; 2GB RAM DDR5300; 320GB HDD; BS: Win XP 32Bit; Linux Slackware BackTrack3.0beta on SD-Card :)

IBM Thinkpad X41

Default *

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    i want install the BT3-USB Version on an HDD with Windows by using the NT-Bootloader of Windows XP. (but no real-BT3 installation, only the small live-install)

I don't even think that's possible. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjarobot View Post
    I don't even think that's possible. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.
    Yea, I don't think the nt bootloader can boot linux. You can, however, boot windows with grub or lilo.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by ninjarobot View Post

the NT-loader can boot Linux, but only "real- installed" Linux on an ext2 partition.

you must create an Bootsector and copy him in the c: ,(there is the boot.ini)

dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/tmp/bootsek.lin bs=512 count=1

and write in the boot.ini

c:\bootsek.lin ="Linux"
    Amilo Xi1554 with T7200; 2GB RAM DDR5300; 320GB HDD; BS: Win XP 32Bit; Linux Slackware BackTrack3.0beta on SD-Card :)

IBM Thinkpad X41

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    the NT-loader can boot Linux, but only "real- installed" Linux on an ext2 partition.

you must create an Bootsector and copy him in the c: ,(there is the boot.ini)

dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/tmp/bootsek.lin bs=512 count=1

and write in the boot.ini

c:\bootsek.lin ="Linux"
    See, I did not know that.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

... i have now solved the problem.

it was an long way to rome.. (searching searching...)

i use now the GRUB-Boot Loader, exactly the GERUB4Dos, which i can install from the Windows surface and boot over the NT-Bootloader.

and i can him very easy modify... that is great now, i use an small live system and i didnīt require burn and boot a CD

and the changes will also be saved

IBM Thinkpad X41

Junior Member imported_Yottabit's Avatar

Default more explaination required

what settings did you use for your live install?
    i'm attempting to do the same thing in grub but keep getting init errors during boot and i would like to see your grub boot options to make sure the problem isn't there.
    i've try many times copying the files across using multiple methods (copy+paste,dd,etc) so i'm sure that's not causing probs and the live cd i'm booting from is 100% good
    if a solution to a problem is stupid and works, it is not stupid.

"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine." - Bill Gates :rolleyes:

Just burned his ISO

How did you get fat32 with win 98?

I do not think it is possible either (booting live usb on hdd)

Quote Originally Posted by calnorak View Post
    How did you get fat32 with win 98?

I do not think it is possible either (booting live usb on hdd)
    Why not? Win 98 can to fat32, just not ntfs(I think).

Just burned his ISO

Yes Windows 98 doesnīt support NTFS, but an install on an Fat32 is possible.
    Before you install Win 98, you have create Partitions with QParted.

IBM Thinkpad X41