Thread: DoS Attack?

Default DoS Attack?

This week we have been talking about linux in my networking class. The class is made up of 12 computers with 2 people per a group. 4 of the computers run Windows XP SP1, 4 more run Windows Server 2003 and the rest run Linux. But this Week is "Linux" week and the professor passed out BackTrack2 CDs to everyone. He said BT3 is not comtabable with the towers due to video problems but BT2 works fine.

We hookup 2 hubs to a central Linksys router (defult settings) using DHCP (Dhcpcd). So far all we've done is answer questions about Wireshark, played with SSH, FTP and TFTP and mess with VI and web servers (Under services)

Today we are going to talk about DoS attacks. Im not really sure what the teacher has in mind....but I was wondering: Does BT2 have anything on it that can can flood the network, I know you could use Ethercap to do "Man in the Middle" attack and revert traffic to some null MAC/IP which would freeze the network. Or is there any other way to cause a DoS using a BT2 CD? I bet there is but I have had no luck in finding it. Thats why im posting.

Quote Originally Posted by >Dart> View Post
    This week we have been talking about linux in my networking class. The class is made up of 12 computers with 2 people per a group. 4 of the computers run Windows XP SP1, 4 more run Windows Server 2003 and the rest run Linux. But this Week is "Linux" week and the professor passed out BackTrack2 CDs to everyone. He said BT3 is not comtabable with the towers due to video problems but BT2 works fine.

We hookup 2 hubs to a central Linksys router (defult settings) using DHCP (Dhcpcd). So far all we've done is answer questions about Wireshark, played with SSH, FTP and TFTP and mess with VI and web servers (Under services)

Today we are going to talk about DoS attacks. Im not really sure what the teacher has in mind....but I was wondering: Does BT2 have anything on it that can can flood the network, I know you could use Ethercap to do "Man in the Middle" attack and revert traffic to some null MAC/IP which would freeze the network. Or is there any other way to cause a DoS using a BT2 CD? I bet there is but I have had no luck in finding it. Thats why im posting.
    Look at an app called Charon. Our own ShamanVirtuel wrote it. Enjoy....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

I dont think Charon is on BT2? I did find Dhcpx Flooder, do I plug in the IP address of the router? Will it flood the network?

I dont think Charon is on BT2? I did find Dhcpx Flooder, do I plug in the IP address of the router? Will it flood the network?
    No, it's not packaged with BT2, but you can just install it yourself....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Ok, I guess ill have to try that out later.

Well class is over, I opened Wireshark and fired up dhcpx and BOOM It looked liek the router was trying to renew its lease (192.168.1.1)??? Not sure what that would do but it did "Nothing" to anyone. We could still move files back and forth. But I wonder if someone disconnected, and the DHCP server was being flooded, could someone reconnect?

Would there be a way to kick some people off the network and start the flooding and ask them to reconnect?

My teacher says "Asking" them to get off the network would "not" be a real world situation. He was a linux admin for 30 years....He loves "Real World Situations"

I know how to kick someone off the network if they are wireless...but not wired?

And could someone post the download link for Charon...all I could find is this: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...s/Charon.shtml and I dont think that is it cause it runs on Window$.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Ok, I guess ill have to try that out later.

Well class is over, I opened Wireshark and fired up dhcpx and BOOM It looked liek the router was trying to renew its lease (192.168.1.1)??? Not sure what that would do but it did "Nothing" to anyone. We could still move files back and forth. But I wonder if someone disconnected, and the DHCP server was being flooded, could someone reconnect?

Would there be a way to kick some people off the network and start the flooding and ask them to reconnect?

My teacher says "Asking" them to get off the network would "not" be a real world situation. He was a linux admin for 30 years....He loves "Real World Situations"

I know how to kick someone off the network if they are wireless...but not wired?
    "You're not thinking 4th dimensionally, Marty!"

What the quickest and easiest way to kick alot of people off of a network without interacting directly with them?

Pull the power on the switch.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Ya that would work...but Im trying to avoid kicking off myself....I could "accidentally" unplug a few off of a hub...but there's no way to do it remotely...easily? But pulling plugs would work I guess...