Thread: Is Fasttrack Metasploit Autopwn dangerous?

Just burned his ISO

Default Is Fasttrack Metasploit Autopwn dangerous?

That may be a dumb question. But I was thinking about testing it on my laptop against my laptop!

I got BT3 running in vmware, and I was curious to see what happens if I run it and target my vista ip address of my laptop.

Before I try it, I want to know the effects it could cause. I have system restore discs, but I don't want to redo everything.

I'm just bored and wanting to try something new.
    New to BT, not new to Linux.

I can't speak for the effects of it, but I have run it a few times against my server (serv03), with some reverse shells, and haven't noticed any adverse effects. Maybe some general network slowing, but thats about it.

Smile Just watch its output....

If one of the exploits is successful and results in something important being changed (registry details etc...) then it usually tells you what files/values to remove afterwards. You just need to keep your eyes on the output as it flashes past quite quickly at times! Manually checking the details of the working exploit afterwards never hurts too, just google its number.....

In my personal experience:

Backdoors left by overuse of autopwn = 0
    Backdoors left by overuse of netcat = at least 4 i've found.....

TT
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Just burned his ISO

Default Not sure I would say "dangerous" per se

The issue is that it is dangerous to a production environment. Not dangerous as "will cause the machine to explode or anything." Its dangerous in that it will scan for open ports and then attack those ports with every exploit that uses that port. Some of those exploits will cause DoS to services or machines. Other exploits will cause the kernel to hang if they fail or an automatic reboot.

It is unconscionable to use that on production machines. So yeah, its dangerous.

In your test lab? Knock yourself out and I doubt you'll need to recover anything though. Probably just need to reboot.

Do yourself a favor, learn the exploit (what it does and how it affects the machine). Learn how to nmap the machine and match exploits to the nmap results. Use precision instead of blunt trauma to get in.

Oh and try MS08-067. That seems pretty reliable if you are using it on the right machine (i.e. not on 2000 until the exploit is updated to include that).