Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Catch the thief

Just burned his ISO

Is it possible he is using a transparent proxy?
    In that case, the HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR variable contains his real IP.

I hope you can use this bit of information.

Just burned his ISO

Default contact the anonymizer

If you have the anonymizer's ip and logs showing the exact date and time of his entry, contacting the anonymizer and telling them your story can go a long way. They don't want to be caught in the middle of a crime (or hack, just tell them the ip and what they did from it and at what time); if it is a free site you can bet that they will give you his real ip, if he is a paying customer his membership would likely be revoked.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Xploitz=- View Post
    And its not illegal to ban evade.
    I suppose it *could* be classed as an unauthorised access which is a criminal offence in Europe and the USA but I won't bet on getting a conviction.

Quote Originally Posted by xCPPx View Post
    EDIT: Is there a good and recent IP banist for the popular proxies and anonymizers?
    You can create one yourself easily enough using a proxy leecher tool. As you're not going to use the proxies yourself, just the list of their ip addresses, you shouldn't have any legal issues but do check if you're not sure.

And make sure you remember to disable any proxy testing features the software might have

I did some experimenting with this a while back for similar reasons and what I found is that none of the firewall software available at the time could handle a blocklist that big

Now Peerguardian, the Anti Anti-Piracy tool which is as much protection as a water soluble condom, is perfect for the job. It's specifically designed to handle very large blocklists efficiently and on the whole does a fairly good job of it. Unfortunately it's Windows only

Of course, this won't catch commercial anonymizing services but as eltucaso mentioned above you can simply make an abuse complaint to the company and have them pass a copy along to his ISP.
    First Rule of Holes: When you're in one - Stop Digging!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoneywar View Post
    I suppose it *could* be classed as an unauthorised access which is a criminal offence in Europe and the USA but I won't bet on getting a conviction.
    As -=Xploitz=- already stated ban evading on its own is not illegal and being the public forum that this is I have a hard time seeing how you would push for it being unauthorized access.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    As -=Xploitz=- already stated ban evading on its own is not illegal and being the public forum that this is I have a hard time seeing how you would push for it being unauthorized access.
    The Computer Misuse Act is quite clear on the matter. It is an offence to access or attempt to access any computer system without express permission from someone with the appropriate authority to give that permission. I believe the US has a similar legal framework in place.

In the case of a public forum there is an implied consent to view the content and a specific consent to post material as enacted by the registration process. However both of those consents may be revoked at anytime by informing the party involved and taking the appropriate action to prevent further access, ie. changing passwords/account permissions, deleting accounts etc.

In this specific case, the 'appropriate authority' has not only revoked those permissions by banning the individual in question. He has also taken active measures in an attempt to prevent further access to the computer system by that particular individual.

Therefore, the individual's subsquent actions in using technological measures, ie. an anonymizing proxy service, to bypass those preventative measures and regain access to the computer system constitute a criminal offence.

BTW: I was not referring to this forum and neither was anyone else.

Just burned his ISO

just throwing an idea here which probably wouldnt work but how about making a metasploit shell executable and post it on your forum and disguise it as something and see if they download it and if he connects back to ur computer u can quickly do an ifconfig ect to show his actual ip address behind the proxy hes using ,probably a stupid answer but im thinking in the same manner as finding the ip address of an msn buddy by sending him a file and do a netstat and it shows there ip cos there connecting directly,im blabbering on :P

Quote Originally Posted by commandr View Post
    just throwing an idea here which probably wouldnt work but how about making a metasploit shell executable and post it on your forum and disguise it as something and see if they download it and if he connects back to ur computer u can quickly do an ifconfig ect to show his actual ip address behind the proxy hes using ,probably a stupid answer but im thinking in the same manner as finding the ip address of an msn buddy by sending him a file and do a netstat and it shows there ip cos there connecting directly,im blabbering on :P
    Yeah.... Just a little bit illegal....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    Yeah.... Just a little bit illegal....
    Erm... I'm not so sure. It could be argued that there was an implied consent granted by the act of downloading the file and running it.

There was a case a couple of years ago where two PC World 'technicians' planted spyware on a computer which had been brought in for repair. The company's lawyers argued that there had been no malicious intent - yeh, right - and that there was an implied consent inherent in the act of leaving the machine for repair.

In the end the CPS decided not to prosecute. They simply could not risk losing as that would have created a very unfortunate precedent.

HOWEVER this does not mean YOU should try it commandr. YOU might not be so lucky and if it did any damage you would almost certainly be on the wrong side of law.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoneywar View Post
    Erm... I'm not so sure. It could be argued that there was an implied consent granted by the act of downloading the file and running it.

There was a case a couple of years ago where two PC World 'technicians' planted spyware on a computer which had been brought in for repair. The company's lawyers argued that there had been no malicious intent - yeh, right - and that there was an implied consent inherent in the act of leaving the machine for repair.

In the end the CPS decided not to prosecute. They simply could not risk losing as that would have created a very unfortunate precedent.

HOWEVER this does not mean YOU should try it commandr. YOU might not be so lucky and if it did any damage you would almost certainly be on the wrong side of law.
    Although I am familiar with the case you are referring to, what commandr is proposing is very much illegal. It is not consenting when the person does not have any idea it is there and the express intent is to gain unauthorized access. Period. He would most definitely be prosecuted if he were caught doing this so it is not good advice at all.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123