Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permission denied

Just burned his ISO imported_hello's Avatar

Post Permission denied

I have two questions here

Q.1 Why do i keep getting permission denied when ever i try to install something on my backtrack
    I tried using the command "SU"
    BT~# su
    BT~#
    I am the only user here and all the passwords are in default
    root and toor
    I have a multi boot with windows xp
    Q.2 Windows partion is in read only....I don't know why.
    How do i change it to (Read and write ) in backtrack

I tried to answer this before but my post exploded into a million bits when i pushed post, nobody cares about us newbie's, they're all too busy searching forums and reading tutorials..Giggle.

Nah, i don't think BT wants you to install Llinux programs on an NT File System, make your Linux partition bigger and run it from there. You could use Partition Magic in windows to resize and re-assign partitions without stuffing anything up, if you have to read linux from windows you could install
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/lin...s.htm#Download
    It's a s buggy as hell but that just makes it more fun..weeeeee

I found out the hard way my EXT2 was too small, collected 500,000 ivs then the file corrupted when ran out of space. Not long after i found out i could have just got 40,000 and used a ptw attack...weeeeeee

ps ( I said weeeee a lot didn't i..weeeeeee)

Your NTFS partition is mounted RO so that when you boot backtrack you don't accidentally pooch your Windows install. For details on changing this search the forums for "NTFS" or "fstab" etc.

As for "permission denied when ever i try to install something" perhaps you could be a little less vague. What are you tring to install? Where are you trying to install it?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Default this kid is clueless...........throw'em too the wolves

type this at the command line ...... 1. MOD EDIT: NO JOKES LIKE THAT THANK YOU

just kidding dude , don't go near fdisk or you might wipe out you harddrive.....windows and all, but i would suggest you learn something about linux before i log in under another name and give you really bad advice........ ok seriously, do you even know what backtrack is?? there is this really cool website called www.google.com

i know, i know......... don't be such an a$$hole......i just can't help it sometimes.........just wait till i need help and sock it too me
    I like to think but the promise of easy answers is hard to pass up
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You know your a geek when binary jokes make you giggle

Just burned his ISO imported_hello's Avatar

Question O

Nah, i don't think BT wants you to install Llinux programs on an NT File System, make your Linux partition bigger and run it from there. You could use Partition Magic in windows to resize and re-assign partitions without stuffing anything up, if you have to read linux from windows you could install

I have a 40gb harddisk partioned into 2 20gb hardisks,20 for windows (NTFS) and 20 for backtrack (EXT3)

As for "permission denied when ever i try to install something" perhaps you could be a little less vague. What are you tring to install? Where are you trying to install it?
    I was trying to install K torrent on my backtrack

BT~# make install
    Permision denied

BT~#su
    BT~#

BT~# make install
    Permision denied
    hda1 NTFS partion (RO)
    hda2 ext3 partion (RW)

I want to install K torrent on my linux partion

I could use WINE and install Utorrent ..... but that is not the answer I am looking for .

I am a bit new here so please bear with me.Thank you.

Developer

try

bt~#slapt-get --install ktorrent

Quote Originally Posted by default View Post
    You could use Partition Magic in windows to resize and re-assign partitions without stuffing anything up, if you have to read linux from windows you could install
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/lin...s.htm#Download
    For a partition manager that doesn't need Windows to run, try the Gparted Live CD (it's only a 50MB Download and supports all file systems). As for reading the linux partition - try Explore2FS. It's not buggy from what I've seen, and it does the job.

-Stephen

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix910 View Post
    .. As for reading the linux partition - try Explore2FS. It's not buggy from what I've seen, and it does the job.

-Stephen

Thanks Pheonix, works great

Just burned his ISO

I have the same problem i have make a dual boot. But my windows partion is not working I was trying to repair in backtrack I can`t change my permission of the windows partion so i can`t change any thing.

My quetion is how can i fix this?

I would try installing NTFS-3G, but it really depends what's wrong with your windows partition. BackTrack isn't designed for fixing partitions, but for Security and forensics. There are much better programs/boot cd's out there to fix windows. However, if BackTrack is what you want to you, NTFS-3G will give you ability to mount the partitions with read/write permissions. Use the following command once you have installed it, and that should work (provided the NTFS has never been mounted beforehand and the directory in /mnt/ not been created, and assuming that hda1 is the NTFS drive). This creates the /mnt/hda1 directory as well as mounting it, but if you don't want/need to create the directory, just remove the "mkdir /mnt/hda1 && " part of the command:

mkdir /mnt/hda1 && mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

-Stephen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast