Thread: BT3 USB Final Problem

Just burned his ISO

Default BT3 USB Final Problem

I downloaded the Backtrack 3 Final USB .iso this morning, and i got Undisker to extract the image from my desktop where i saved the .iso. Then I dragged and dropped the BT3 and boot folders from the undisker window to my USB drive (a PNY 4gb drive that i had formatted for FAT32, the only option). I opened the boot folder and ran bootinst.bat to make the drive a running distro. I safely unplugged the drive, turned my computer off, rebooted it, set USB drives as higher priority in the BIOS menu, saved changes, turned the computer off again, plugged in the USB drive and turned the computer on, but it took me to Windows, which isn't right. The USB port is working, i could access the drive by going to My Computer > Removable Drive (H. So please explain. I'm running Windows XP Professional SP3 on an old gateway box I found in the garbage (it was missing a hard-drive, but the parts work...) So yea.

I have a toshiba-satellite where for some reason it makes no difference what I set the boot priority to it still boots from the HDD. Try using the boot menu. It's F8 on every pc I use, but your might be different. Press it while the bios is loading.
    When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean. -- Lin-Chi
    - - - - - - - -
    I slept once, it was a Tuesday.

I have a Kingston DTI/4GB that boots BT3 Final on my Dell laptop without a problem.

However, when I try to boot it from my HP laptop, it doesn't even show it in the bios, let alone boot it.

Ive had a some problems with the boot install program in windows not setting the drive to bootable mode. Id tell you to use fdisk to make sure you have a bootable flag or manually append your init.rd but instead...

Id recommend trying this:
    http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html
    So easy, a windows user could do it.

Really is an amazing little utility, I cant believe it took me so long to find it...
    Morpheus: "You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

Neo: "What if I take both?"

Morpheus: "Don't do that! You end up like Nick Nolte!"

you might have to register the usb drive with your computer before it will show up in the bios. especially if it has u3.

Quote Originally Posted by Revelati View Post
    Id recommend trying this:
    http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html
    So easy, a windows user could do it.

Really is an amazing little utility, I cant believe it took me so long to find it...
    Very nice share, that's exactly what I was looking for last week.
    Thank you.
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem