Thread: CD hang at "looking for data directory"

Default CD hang at "looking for data directory"

i have been using BT since version 1 came to life , never had any problems until i got my new machine. the problem is when i put my BT3 CD to boot its stuck at "looking for data directory" at booting.i know nothing wrong with the CD because its the same i used on my old machine .i downloaded a new copy ,check MD5 and still the same problem. i also tried another versions of linux like ubuntu and it went right through .now iam thinking that thier might be somthing wrong with files loading the data directory from the CD.if you guys have any suggests or experience somthing like that please help
    My machine is AMD X2 64 6000+ dual core
    Knowledge is Power

I have the same problem. I stil have the BT3beta CD and USB and both of them boot OK.

I also detect a couple of "unknown keyword in config file" messages in the very first booting, before the boot menu appears, but I don't feel it has anything related with the "looking for data directory issue"

Laptop is IBM Thinkpad T42

Any help?

Default Problem solved !

My problem has been solved...

The problem was the image I downloaded... it was not correct (much smaller) and I didn't checked the MD5

I downloaded it again (this time checked that the MD5 was correct), burned the CD again, and it works !

The two messages in booting are still there, but the system boots. I'll look later on for any possible reason for them and, if corrected, I'll update this post.

which mirror did u download from
    Knowledge is Power

Quote Originally Posted by azagorath View Post
    which mirror did u download from
    Don't know (don't remember), the one that the BackTrack download url directed me.... The important thing to do is to check the MD5 to be sure it is valid.

Good luck

problem solved ,the problem is backtrack doesnt support some sata hard drives .i connected my old IDE hard drive as a slave with my CDrom "master" and then i booted both windows and linux from the IDE HD instead of using the sata on .i knew it wasnt a problem of a CD ,it backtrack missing my sata hard drive driver.now i can update the sata driver on my installed backtrack
    Knowledge is Power