Thread: Linux on the Hx4700...?

Exclamation Linux on the Hx4700...?

This seems like a MISC topic so I thought the best place I could think of would be to stick it there.

Iím taking a Linux class this semester to work with Backtrack a little better. I was talking to my professor and we discussed an interesting idea. I was thinking...what if I could use my HP Ipaq Hx4700 PDA for backtrack? I was thinking of to myself that every day I seem to me doing "ls" on a Windows Box more and more...

Now I know there have been some efforts made in the past to run Backtrack on a mobile device but I have not kept really up to date with those topics. I did however find this guide: http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.c...toInstallLinux I think im going to bring it to class on Monday to have my professor look over. It seems like a lot of people have been able to get Familiar Linux running on the Hx4700 with BT and Wi-Fi working fine. There are also 2 GUIs available, GPE and Opie.

I know flashing the ROM could brick the device, the PDA is somewhat old, I just use it for internet but if something does happen I bet I could reload the WM3 image I have that came with the HP WM5 upgrade that I bought that failed that I had to revert back to.

My question is this, Iíve never flashed anything with Linux before...is this a "smart" idea? Is it worth it? How hard is it to get normal Linux apps to run on it?

My Main concern is that if I use it for Pen Testing...does the Chipset/Wi-Fi support Promiscuous mode or injection. For what iv read, Iv googled HARD on this and cant find a answer to yes or no. Can you still pen test well without it?

The Hx4700 use the TI ACX100 (802.11b :s) and the driver ported for it is decent... much better than the same driver used in the HTC BA and HTC Uni, which essentially have the same card (although the Uni uses an od hacked 16 bit slave mem driver whereas the Hx4700 and the BA are SDIO -- the r3verse engin33red driver was meant for SDIO).

Either way, it's <still> 802.11b, and the range kinda sucks. You could use a pcmia sleeve and use better cards, but you'd lose out on the SD card install option.

Another thing is the fact that Angstrom <sucks> ... so the only real way to run BT apps is to botstrap a Debian install on an SD card partition (as it won't fit on the tiny flash ROM.

Go with an Openmoko Freerunner if anything. I started a project entitled Neopwn with the same intent, and it has the ability to support USB WLAN cards... porting the drivers was a PITA, so have plenty of time to spare.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Well the Openmoko Freerunner sounds great...if it wasent for the tripple digit price. Im stuck with the hx4700 and im used to it. Im just trying to make the best of what i have at the moment. And last time i checked (I may be wrong) but the hx4700 does not have sleeve support.

Quote Originally Posted by >Dart> View Post
    Well the Openmoko Freerunner sounds great...if it wasent for the tripple digit price. Im stuck with the hx4700 and im used to it. Im just trying to make the best of what i have at the moment. And last time i checked (I may be wrong) but the hx4700 does not have sleeve support.
    Ahh yea you're right.. got that mixxed up with the h54xx

uhh...its ok. You got the sleeve idea wrong or all the info u gave me was wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by >Dart> View Post
    ... or all the info u gave me was wrong?
    Ummm, no. I've got about 4K+ hours total dev time into familiar linux/angstrom/debian arm/armel.. someone I know on the irc chan has the h54xx and has sleeves for it (i fried my rom over a year ago on my h54xx) so that is where i got the info twisted... everything else is correct --