Thread: Is it possible to create one bootable usb

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Is it possible to create one bootable usb

Hey sorry for a noob question but i was wondering can instead of having multiple usbs for backtrack, ophcrack , and portable OS s is it possible to them into one big usb.

Ive read about Lilo and grub but ive only understood the partions then i dont know what to do next coould someone explain how i could do this because have like 5 usb sticks must be quite annoying. I would thank you guys if you could explain or post a link for a tutorial.

Thanks

Doesn't appear to be up-to-date but you could checkout:
    http://www.securedvd.org/
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by numbus View Post
    Hey sorry for a noob question but i was wondering can instead of having multiple usbs for backtrack, ophcrack , and portable OS s is it possible to them into one big usb.

Ive read about Lilo and grub but ive only understood the partions then i dont know what to do next coould someone explain how i could do this because have like 5 usb sticks must be quite annoying. I would thank you guys if you could explain or post a link for a tutorial.

Thanks
    There's a good tutorial here: http://timlegge.blogspot.com/

Information on setting up three ISOs is covered. BT3, Ophcrack, Offline NT Password & Registry Editor.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

so i just download open it and extract to my usb drive select my ISO and that's it ?

Just burned his ISO

So after being away from this forum for a while i decided i still want to continue this project. I did not explain clearly this time so i guess ill be more clear.

• multiple partions
    • multiple linux distros
    • a working boot manger eg grub/ lilo

From what i have herd there are 2 ways one just involves loading a boot manger (this one is hard)

And second one is turning ur usb stick into a HD and partioning it

Quote Originally Posted by numbus View Post
    So after being away from this forum for a while i decided i still want to continue this project. I did not explain clearly this time so i guess ill be more clear.

• multiple partions
    • multiple linux distros
    • a working boot manger eg grub/ lilo

From what i have herd there are 2 ways one just involves loading a boot manger (this one is hard)

And second one is turning ur usb stick into a HD and partioning it
    http://timlegge.blogspot.com/ <---- Just like Thorn said. I might have to try this out with bt4...

Technically the usb stick is a hard drive.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    http://timlegge.blogspot.com/ <---- Just like Thorn said. I might have to try this out with bt4...
    Exactly what I was thinking. I've done this before but it should be interesting now the BT has transitioned into a fully fledged OS.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. I've done this before but it should be interesting now the BT has transitioned into a fully fledged OS.
    I seemed to remember something about early Flashdrive death. Here's an article related to it.

http://ask-leo.com/can_a_usb_thumbdrive_wear_out.html

I know they're cheap enough anymore, so don't be surprised that anyone doing this their drive suffers an early terminal failure.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I seemed to remember something about early Flashdrive death. Here's an article related to it.

I know they're cheap enough anymore, so don't be surprised that anyone doing this their drive suffers an early terminal failure.
    Well, I wouldn't be sure about that. Really you aren't doing a whole lot of writing to the USB drive, which is what causes pre-mature death.

Realistically, would you be writing to it at all (after initial setup of curse)? Because once your OS is installed, you would be reading from it and then writing to whatever storage device you specify, if running persistent changes. This would actually maintain the life of the drive if this was its sole purpose....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

As long as you don't put a swap file on the drive you should be okay. I ran my smoothwall firewall off a thumbdrive for a couple years. The only reason it's not now is I was playing around with transparent proxies and that would definitely kill the drive pretty damn quick.

Besides, you can pick up an 8Gb thumb drive cheaper than a box of floppies.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69