Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you got hacked?

Developer

That can all be done with openbsd as well but its more complicated I have 4 nics. One in and one out which are both transparent and have no IP's on the network at all. One for ssh managment which I keep unplugged unless I need it and one for wifi on a different subnet just like barry with 0 access to the rest of the network unless I unblock it in the pf.conf

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I have never called it the baby network. I have however called it the dweeb network.
    Maybe it was weenie network? I know you called it a name anyway.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Junior Member imported_Yottabit's Avatar

snort needs to be registered in smoothwall 3
    registration makes spam
    if a solution to a problem is stupid and works, it is not stupid.

"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine." - Bill Gates :rolleyes:

I use this all the time to register: http://10minutemail.com
    I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Yottabit View Post
    snort needs to be registered in smoothwall 3
    registration makes spam
    Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, if you're going to make a comment about something, you ought to know what the hell you're talking about. That's the second stupid comment in this thread.

It isn't spam, it's updates on the Snort signatures. And that is a good thing.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, if you're going to make a comment about something, you ought to know what the hell you're talking about. That's the second stupid comment in this thread.

It isn't spam, it's updates on the Snort signatures. And that is a good thing.
    I thought you only taught him ballroom dancing.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_R View Post
    Well, since I've been experimenting on my own home network, using ettercap, wireshark, and cain and abel in windows.

It makes me wonder what happens if I get hacked and how can I prevent it when someone breaks the wireless key. Are their any ARP detection or prevention to use. I want some extra protection, maybe something I could install on my DD-WRT wrt54gs router.

I've read about honey pots but haven't found any good tutorials on that.

Sorry for the stupid questions, just curious about the what if's.
    If you're that paranoid,

1. Look into a WIDS
    2. Use a super long WPA password
    3. or just do away with Wifi altogether
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for all the responses. Smoothwall seems like the best option. Only problem is it won't work how I wished it would in vmware. A physical machine will cause my power bill to go up, which I am trying to avoid by using virtual machines in the first place.

I know it is best to use a long randomized wpa 2 password.

I'm still studying about this stuff, but I think my DD-WRT firmware allows me to separate my wlan from the lan. I need to research that.

Wireless is nice to have, so I want to keep it if all possible.
    New to BT, not new to Linux.

I'm still studying about this stuff, but I think my DD-WRT firmware allows me to separate my wlan from the lan. I need to research that.
    It does.

You can also enable WPA and Radius authentication. Which should be more than enough for a home network.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    It does.

You can also enable WPA and Radius authentication. Which should be more than enough for a home network.
    I could never get my phone to do the radius authentication stuff.... You're also going to need a box playing radius server.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast