Thread: SpoonWEP and PTW

Just burned his ISO

Default SpoonWEP and PTW

I have been checking out SpoonWEP lately, and really like the way it works with my ALFA card. I can crack my AP both by hand, and using scripts so I am not new to this.

I have noticed that SpoonWEP takes a bit of time to actually crack the key, versus when I do things by hand and use the PTW method.

This leads me to believe that SpoonWEP isn't using the PTW method when it is cracking. Correct me if I am wrong.

I dug through the lib files for SpoonWEP, and you can edit how the attack is performed, but not the actual crack. So if SpoonWEP doesn't use the PTW method then how would I go about editing this so that it does?

I like the fact that when I use the PTW method by hand I can have my key in less then a minute versus the five minutes SpoonWEP takes.

I would like to thank everybody in advance for their replies.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by dlaroche22 View Post
    I have been checking out SpoonWEP lately, and really like the way it works with my ALFA card. I can crack my AP both by hand, and using scripts so I am not new to this.

I have noticed that SpoonWEP takes a bit of time to actually crack the key, versus when I do things by hand and use the PTW method.

This leads me to believe that SpoonWEP isn't using the PTW method when it is cracking. Correct me if I am wrong.

I dug through the lib files for SpoonWEP, and you can edit how the attack is performed, but not the actual crack. So if SpoonWEP doesn't use the PTW method then how would I go about editing this so that it does?

I like the fact that when I use the PTW method by hand I can have my key in less then a minute versus the five minutes SpoonWEP takes.

I would like to thank everybody in advance for their replies.
    I would assume that spoon wep uses the default of aircrack which is the PTW attack and since I know the creator of the tool quite well I can safely say that he would have used the best attack option available. Anything involving a GUI is going to be slower than a command line based tool. Its common sense.

Just burned his ISO

Default Common Sense

Yeah, common sense tells me I should just delete SpoonWEP from my drive, and write my own script if SpoonWEP can't be improved on. Since you know the creator so well, you should inform him that:

1.) Java was not the best choice language to use.
    2.) There is room for improvement.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by dlaroche22 View Post
    Yeah, common sense tells me I should just delete SpoonWEP from my drive, and write my own script if SpoonWEP can't be improved on. Since you know the creator so well, you should inform him that:

1.) Java was not the best choice language to use.
    2.) There is room for improvement.
    We will be looking forward to seeing a better release from you then since you seem to think you can do better.

Plus I never said it couldnt be improved upon, what I said was CLI will always be faster than a gui IMHO.