Thread: windows xp/backtrack 3 dualboot+drivecrypt plus pack.

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default windows xp/backtrack 3 dualboot+drivecrypt plus pack.

Is it possible?

Right now i am just having windows on a partition that are 288gb big...

And i want to encrypt the full windows xp OS with the pre-boot-autentication thats comes with drivecrypt...
    But i also want a dual boot and install backtrack 3 with grub if that is possible.

I have read this link..
    keitin.net/jarpatus/articles/dcpp_grub/

and this:
    keitin.net/jarpatus/articles/safeguard_easy_grub/index.shtml

But that sounds a bit hard for a "begginer" like me...but i did install ubuntu a few days ago, but decided to remove it, and grub, with fixmbr with windows cd...

Anyways. If i encrypt the whole windows partition. Can backtrack recognize the partition anyways and install itself there..
    And then maybe chainload something in grub...

hmm...i gotta think about this and plan before i do it...hopefully with some help of you experts.

thanks!

Just burned his ISO

Alright. I have encrypted xp and all with drivecrypt plus pack...

Now i wanna do a dual boot with backtrack if that is possible.

I got this reply from another forum, and i translate:

"A little short how you can do:

You create a partion for windows and install windows there.
    Then install truecrypt / drivecrypt and encrypts your hard disk.

Now you have thus tc / dc bootloadern installed. Then you boot up a live disc, type ubuntu, and use dd to copy bootloadern to a file.
    something like: dd if = / dev / sda of dcbootloader.raw = bs = 1 count = 512

Then install linux on the free space you have left, you want encrypted, so create a crypto container and has a lvm in there with your root file system, / home and swap, or you run on as usual without encrypting. If you can boot loader so choose grub, or you install it later.

Now you have written over your bootloader, so you will only be able to load linux. When you made it so, copy over dcbootloader.raw to your / boot partition, and add the option in Windows menu.lst, with a chain loader after.

Chainloading with grub is that grub starts running an extra bootloader from a file when you select one of the options in the menu. for it, you should have something similar in configdelen for windows:

chain loader / boot / grub / dcbootloader.raw
    , Perhaps you skip to write / boot before, look no guide on the web."

I asked: Where did you get dcbootloader.raw from? And how can it look?

I got this reply:

"dcbootloader.raw copied me with 'dd' command earlier from the hard disk:
    dd if = / dev / sda of dcbootloader.raw = bs = 1 count = 512

it loads bootloadern from your mbr, and puts it in a file 'dcbootloader.raw'

When I think that you should put it in / boot, it is not easy as you copy of the file there. You will have a directory called / boot when you installed backtrack. Make sure to follow the guide you sent that describes how to install backtrack 3 with grub."

well, have wrote back but the guy is not online right now...
    I wonder where he got dcbootloader.raw from? while other pages talk about dcpp.mbr ..

And maybe i should follow this guide instead...

Contents

* 1 Introduction
    * 2 Basic Information about the system startup
    * 3 How to solve the problem
    * 4 If Windows / DCPP on a secondary hard drive
    * 5 ToDo
    * 6 sources / links

[Edit] Introduction

You have a multi-boot system and encrypt your Windows boot partition? You have the option to partition with DriveCrypt Plus Pack to encrypt, and this opportunity we received. Grub writes in the master boot record (MBR), and if you encrypt GRUB after install in the MBR, you will no longer be possible, the encrypted Windows to start. GRUB because it is not possible from the house, an encrypted Windows partition to start. How to solve this problem, you erfärhst below.
    [Edit] Basic Information about the system startup

A brief summary about the MBR and partition table:

The MBR occupies the first 512 bytes (track 0 / Sector 1) hard disk drive. Traditional MBR code has only the localized operating system (the first active partition) and handed over the first sector of this partition the command of execution, which would have loaded the operating system. As always, usually starts the first partition on track 1 / Sector 1 of the bootable disk, which is always some free space between the MBR and the start of the first partition can be released. Normally, the HDD is divided into 63 sectors (the logical, physical knows only the hard drive manufacturer), thus represents 62 sectors * 1 track = 62 * 512 = 31744 bytes to use freely.

Modern bootloader can use this free memory, 512 bytes because really not complicated enough for bootloader are. Grub, for example, writes his "stage 1" in the MBR, "stage 1.5 in the free space after the MBR, which" stage 2 "from the root partition loads. DCPP his data also appear in this space to write. Perhaps these data codes and keys to decrypt the boot partition that is if GRUB without thinking is installed ..

Since GRUB and DCPP their data in the same field write, is the use beidige completely impossible. Grub has a feature which "chain loader" means. This offers the possibility of setting what other files bootloader have saved, and can run. Unfortunately, we would not help because the MBR of DCPP exactly this free space would read, but what GRUB's "stage 1.5" has been overwritten.
    [Edit] How to solve the problem

Fortunately, no grub "stage 1.5 installed, without further challenges. Therefore, the earlier mentioned "free" memory GRUB be left untouched and GRUB the data could simply "chainloaden." That, however, has a few drawbacks, since the location of "stage 2" to "stage 1" must be embedded, and if the GRUB files are moved, you might start to be impossible. Therefore should be a LiveCD, which includes GRUB, is ready.

At first we need an image of DCPP MBR's and a backup of the first traces of the disk is also recommended (/ dev / sda with the true hard to replace):

gentoo: / boot # dd if = / dev / sda of = / boot / dcpp.mbr bs = 1 count = 512
    gentoo: / boot # dd if = / dev / sda of = / boot / dcpp.backup count = 8 bs = 32256

Next we will install GRUB:

gentoo: ~ # grub
    grub> install (hd0, 1) / boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0, 1) / p boot/grub/stage2 0x8000

That's it! Clearly (hdX, Y) with the use of your partitions. The 0x8000 has no relation to the file system, but rather refers to the memory address, and these should be set at 0x8000. GRUB should now "stage 1" to be installed in the MBR, which "stage 2" of the partition loads, and whose memory is intact. Now is the time to configure GRUB. We edit the / boot / grub / menu.lst as follows:

title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0, 0)
    makeactive
    chain loader (hd0, 1) / boot / dcpp.mbr
    boot

title Gentoo 2.6.19
    root (hd0, 1)
    kernel / boot/2.6.19 root = / dev/sda3 ro
    Boot

That was not so hard. But now times ask providers of encryption software, and this would be her hand into the fire and say that it is impossible to sell their products to use with Linux. Well ..
    [Edit] If Windows / DCPP on a secondary hard drive

Should the DCPP-Bootauth and Windows to a different hard drive and you just want to boot the MBR, is as follows:

Windows Encrypted title
    root (hd1)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    Load 1 chain
    boot

[Edit] ToDo

I have the Windows Recovery Console uses the MBR to reset my hard drive before I installed DCPP, because it could be that the MBR DCPP the right reads, save it elsewhere and it connects with them. That would mean if GRUB installed before DCPP would have to cover a GRUB screen after boot into Windows with the first pit to appear .. If this is the case, is happiness.

Alternative: For a version of what grub "stage 1.5" yet contains would grub in the boot sector of the Linux partition to install, and another 512 bytes GRUB boot loader can load. Then the problems would not "stage 1.5" to have no longer occur. Nevertheless, was not tested.
    [Edit] Sources / links

* Jari Eskelinen, jari.eskelinen (at) iki (dot) fi
    * Grub
    * DriveCrypt Plus Pack from SecurStar

From de.gentoo-wiki.com/Grub_und_DCPP

Thanks

Would be nice if someone could guide me through it. a little gamefaqs walkthrough

Just burned his ISO

i gave up with that idea..
    Installed it on a shitty usb instead

With changes, but that does not work so good and freezes sometimes and goes slow...
    a sandisk 4 gb.

But i gave up this idea because backtrack use lilo and not grub. And i dont think it is even possible...so it doesnt matter.
    Would have been a cool dual boot thou.!

Quote Originally Posted by aph3x3d View Post
    i gave up with that idea..
    Installed it on a shitty usb instead

With changes, but that does not work so good and freezes sometimes and goes slow...
    a sandisk 4 gb.

But i gave up this idea because backtrack use lilo and not grub. And i dont think it is even possible...so it doesnt matter.
    Would have been a cool dual boot thou.!
    You can install grub.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Really..?
    How?
    You mean afterwards i would have installed lilo? anyway, i think that dual boot is a little to complex, but please do tell thanks!

When I install BT, I switch out LILO for GRUB. The easiest way of doing it is creating a /boot and /boot/grub directory, placing the GRUB stage files in the grub directory. You can get the GRUB files here. Make sure you read everything before following these directions. After that, invoke the grub command line:
    Code:
    # grub
    It will output this:
    Code:
           [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.   For
             the   first   word,  TAB  lists  possible  command
             completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
             completions of a device/filename. ]

grub>
    Probe your drive to see what is going on. Here I am checking out my first drive:
    Code:
    grub> geometry (hd0)
    drive 0x80: C/H/S = 9729/255/63, The number of sectors = 156301488, /dev/sda
       Partition num: 0,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
       Partition num: 1,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
       Partition num: 2,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
       Partition num: 4,  Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x82
       Partition num: 5,  Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0xb
       Partition num: 6,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
       Partition num: 7,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
       Partition num: 8,  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    I have GRUB on my first partition, so to GRUB, it is (hd0,0).

Code:
    grub> root (hd0,0)

grub> setup(hd0)
     Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
     Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
     Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
     Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
     Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  16 sectors are embedded.
    succeeded
     Running "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+16 p (hd0,0)/grub/stage2 /grub/menu
    .lst"... succeeded
    Done.
    GRUB installation is done. Last thing to do is to edit your menu.lst to boot your OSes. You should be careful here, as GRUB is going to overwrite the MBR, and if you don't finish the setup, you won't be able to boot anything.

If you need more help, post the output of this command (under Linux):
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    ThinkPad T400