Thread: help with a usb disk

Default help with a usb disk

ok, so, I have a 4gb USB pen drive, it had a partition hider program (for creating hidden partitions) only problem, is once I made the partition, there was no way to just remove it, only resize it..

but now my problem is I made the hidden partition half the drive (2gb) and no longer have the partition utility, and using acronis disk director or any other utility I can find, I can't partition/format the drive back to 4gb...

so I'm wondering in backtrack, how would I go about getting rid of those hidden partitions, and properly formatting that drive (fdisk doesn't see the hidden partition, at least not at first glance.. same with qparted)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy80 View Post
    ok, so, I have a 4gb USB pen drive, it had a partition hider program (for creating hidden partitions) only problem, is once I made the partition, there was no way to just remove it, only resize it..
    Re-size it to zero?

but now my problem is I made the hidden partition half the drive (2gb) and no longer have the partition utility, and using acronis disk director or any other utility I can find, I can't partition/format the drive back to 4gb...
    Did you remove the partitions?

so I'm wondering in backtrack, how would I go about getting rid of those hidden partitions, and properly formatting that drive (fdisk doesn't see the hidden partition, at least not at first glance.. same with qparted)
    Goto SanDisk's, Kingston's (or whoever's) site and download the software again.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

well, I couldn't resize it to zero

I couldn't resize the partition

and its not a common usb disk like that, as in it, doesn't have a place to download that file...

its a "filemate" usb drive, made by Wintec Industries

Actually it's available on their website.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

blah, stupid me didn't see that they had a site for filemate, separate from wintec's site

thanks for pointing that out... kinda lol...

Just burned his ISO

wont fdisk be able to resize and/or delete the partition?

well, thanks to thorin pointing out that they had a web site and the program was available there, I got it fixed, but no, fdisk couldn't see the partition... that program is pretty good at what it does.... lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy80 View Post
    blah, stupid me didn't see that they had a site for filemate, separate from wintec's site

thanks for pointing that out... kinda lol...
    No worries, glad you got it worked out. Sometimes when you're in the middle of something it easy to overlook an easy answer. We've all "been there, done that" at some point.