Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: itt tech or self study?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by compaq View Post
    just like to support exp, I sent my cv down to a company with the list of what i could do, plus hardly any quf, i was luck they interviewed me. They ask me questions like how was my network at home setup, and what areas of linux i know(i could say much, which proable workewd against me), wither i drink and how much, or wither i was socialable, what ref from old employers and general chit chat to understand my char.
    Hopefully they will say yes, but they advertised a month before for staff and they didn't employ anyone, so i'm not holdn't my breath
    Hopefully whatever you sent down was written better than this post.

Maybe you were more careful in what you sent, but in my opinion, one should always attempt to write the best way possible to present themselves as a professional. I find it very difficult to take someone seriously as a professional if they can't form an intelligible sentence. All the ub3rl33t sk1llz don't mean squat if you can't express yourself properly to management.

Yes, I know, I've heard the arguments about how this is just a forum and grammar and spelling don't matter here, but it comes down to practice makes perfect. If you continually write things like that, then chances are you're writing like that in other correspondence as well.

If I saw a resume come across my desk that looked like this post, I probably wouldn't even read it to the end. I'd just throw it away and move on.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

I agree with streaker and would like to add, employers see those commercials too, they make their own judgements on the education and will hire according to what they deem as "qualified" for the position. The "high" paying jobs will not hire from ITT Tech, they will hire from a University.
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

Quote Originally Posted by Shavx View Post
    I agree with streaker and would like to add, employers see those commercials too, they make their own judgements on the education and will hire according to what they deem as "qualified" for the position. The "high" paying jobs will not hire from ITT Tech, they will hire from a University.
    I wouldn't hire anybody straight out of a University/ITT. Sure those guys have the book knowledge, but no hands on experience. Unfortunately HR gets in the way of a lot of qualified people and good jobs. The only certs I carry are my Apple certs, I needed then to be able to do warranty work on Apple hardware. Like I've said before, a trained monkey can pass an A+ exam. I've been turned down from quite a few jobs because I don't have one, even though I have years of professional experience in desktop support. When it comes down to it, certs get you in the door, your knowledge and real skills will keep you there.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I wouldn't hire anybody straight out of a University/ITT. Sure those guys have the book knowledge, but no hands on experience. Unfortunately HR gets in the way of a lot of qualified people and good jobs. The only certs I carry are my Apple certs, I needed then to be able to do warranty work on Apple hardware. Like I've said before, a trained monkey can pass an A+ exam. I've been turned down from quite a few jobs because I don't have one, even though I have years of professional experience in desktop support. When it comes down to it, certs get you in the door, your knowledge and real skills will keep you there.
    I always have to question the qualifications of HR people. IMO, HR are the Ticks on the corporate body. They burrow their way in under the skin and once they're embedded, they're almost impossible to get rid of.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Good friend of the forums

You seem to know your stuff, but personaly i found the A+ exams quite hard, and thought it help get a job a coulpe of years ago.

Maybe you were more careful in what you sent, but in my opinion, one should always attempt to write the best way possible to present themselves as a professional. I find it very difficult to take someone seriously as a professional if they can't form an intelligible sentence. All the ub3rl33t sk1llz don't mean squat if you can't express yourself properly to management.
    I belive that if your job doesn't invole going out to cleints, and you only have to deal with the staff in the company, then skills in computers would be more benafical than PR/HR

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I always have to question the qualifications of HR people. IMO, HR are the Ticks on the corporate body. They burrow their way in under the skin and once they're embedded, they're almost impossible to get rid of.
    I say that about unions.....
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by compaq View Post
    You seem to know your stuff, but personaly i found the A+ exams quite hard, and thought it help get a job a coulpe of years ago.
    If you found the A+ to be hard, then you're probably in the wrong field. My wife took the sample A+ exam, she's a technical writer, and she got an 80% on it the first time.

I belive that if your job doesn't invole going out to cleints, and you only have to deal with the staff in the company, then skills in computers would be more benafical than PR/HR
    You're sadly mistaken about that. If you were to write correspondence with management like this chances are you wouldn't be taken seriously, and they may have second thoughts about your employment. It doesn't matter if you're dealing with clients or people in your company. You should be able to express yourself clearly and as an intelligent professional.

It really is sad that HR departments look at all this standardized crap without actually looking for people who can fit the needs of a company. I've been interning in the IT department of a medium sized business for a few months now and the number one thing that their CIO wants is someone with half a brain who is willing to learn. All the theory that you spend time on in school is thrown out the door the minute you walk through it. The senior people there spend just as much time teaching the people with heavy duty degrees and certs as they do the interns, mostly because the needs of each company are usually specific to that company and can't be learned before hand. I don't have any certs besides A+ and my background is in Poli-Sci, yet I am doing really well, doing a good job, and learning far more about practical computing and networking than I could ever learn in school.
    Sadly the ONLY reason I was able to get into the position is because my uncle is VP of the company so I skipped the HR department all togeather, but the amount of overqualified dolts that they push through the door is amazing. Id rather have an english major who was willing/able to learn, than some sleazebag out of an ivy league school with certifications crammed so far up his arse that he could barely walk, who thought he knew everything already.
    Morpheus: "You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

Neo: "What if I take both?"

Morpheus: "Don't do that! You end up like Nick Nolte!"

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shavx View Post
    I would have to disagree. I have a high paying job with a Fortune 100 company, and I went to ITT. Its offensive that anyone would disqualify a candidate simply based on where they went to school. How exactly did your school better prepare you?

"Hey there, I went to "insert school name" too. My dad was an alumni and got me in with my 2.0 GPA
    Really? Were you in Kappa blah blah?
    Hell yeah!
    Me too!
    Dude, no way. Welcome to the team!"

The icing on the cake --------> Bush went to Yale.

William

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123