Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will this WiFi card work in BackTrack 3 Final?

Default Will this WiFi card work in BackTrack 3 Final?

Says it has a driver to work with the Linux 2.3.X kernel, I didn't know what to do, and I just wanted to make sure that this would or would not work.

Thanks!

Says I can't post URLs from other sites so I just copied and pasted. It is I think dig-usa is the seller on ebay. This is the product description.

Features :

~ Complies with IEEE802.11g, IEEE802.11b for 2.4GHz Wireless Lan
    ~Compliant With PCI 2.2 standart.Capaple of up to WEP 64/128 bit WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK,WPA(TKIP/AES)
    ~High-Speed transfer data rate-up to 54Mbps.
    ~32-bit PCI connector
    ~Works with all existing network infrastracture
    ~Detachable antenna
    ~Complies with specific wireless products and services.
    ~Automatic fallback increases data security and reliability.
    ~Low power consumption.
    ~Supports the most popular operating system:Windows Win98SE/WindowsME/Win2K/WinXP/Windows 64-bit driver/support. Vista and Vista/Linux driver for kernel 2.3x/MAC OSxx 10.4/10.3

Specifications:

Chipset: RTL8185L

Protocol and Standards: IEEE 802.11g,802.11b

Host Interface: PCI interface 2.23

Operating Voltage: 3.3V

Data Rate: 802.11b(11Mbps, 5.5Mbps,2Mbps,1 Mbps)

802.11g(54Mbps, 48Mbps,36Mbps,24 Mbps,24Mbps,18Mbps,12 Mbps,

9Mbps,6Mbps)

Antenna Typeipole Antenna(RP-SMA 2dBi)

Frequency rate:2.412GHz-2.4835GHz

Output Power:54 Mbps OFDM: 12dBm-14-dBm;11Mbps

CCK:16dBm-18DBm

Preamble:802.11b:Both short and Long preamble

802.11g:Both short and Long Preamble

Safety & Emission: Dimensions: .(135 × 22 × 122 mm) Environment: Operating Temperature: 0C~60C Storage Temperature: -20~70C Operating Humidity: 10%~90% non-condensing Storage Humidity: 5%~90% non-condensing

Product Condition: Brand New in Retail Box

Retail Package Includes: - 802.11g Wireless LAN PCI Adapter - Driver CD - Antenna .

Requirements: * Windows Win98SE/WindowsME/Win2K/WinXP/Windows 64-bit driver/support. Vista and Vista/Linux driver for kernel 2.3x/MAC OSxx 10.4/10.3* Available PCI slot * CD-ROM drive for Driver Installation * Suitable network environment with access point.

Warranty and Guarantee: 12-Months Replacement Warranty. 14-days Money Back Guarantee. (Does Not Apply for International Buyers). Warranty and Guarantee Terms start from Auction Close Date. Please check the Warranty and Guarantee Details Below.

Default Re:

Their are drivers out on the web that will make the card work if their are no native drivers in backtrack 3.
    You could also buy an Orinoco Classic Gold, My PERSONAL opinion its the best card, but i'm sure someone will disagree.

Just burned his ISO

rtl8185 driver built in BT3.
    try this:
    modprobe r8180

id be careful getting one of those "wardriving kits" from ebay if that is what this is. I tried that once and got a card that had been re-branded and had a crappy chipset out of hongkong.

That being said a google search for "BackTrack compatable hardware" produced...
    A list of backtrack compatable hardware! AMAZING!

http://backtrack.offensive-security...._Compatibility
    Morpheus: "You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

Neo: "What if I take both?"

Morpheus: "Don't do that! You end up like Nick Nolte!"

Well no I am not getting a war driving kit I am just getting the PCI WiFi card. And to the guy who reccomened that one product, I forget the name and am too lazy to scroll down, that is a PCMCIA card and this is for a desktop PC, so I am going PCI slot.

I am going to be using this in Windows and in various Linux distros including backtrack and doing some light wep cracking (cracking my wep for fun and maybe taking my pc to my friends house and cracking his wep to give him proof that his "encrypted" wifi means jack shit.)

And as for the card I am talking about which I can't post a link to but I'll try.

hyper text transfer protocol colon slash slash tinyurl.com/6o2cbm

So if you guys know of any cheaper cards then I am all for it. I just need it to be PCI, I guess I could go USB but I would rather it be PCI, have a removeable and upgradeable antenna...and be compatible with linux and windows, and have good transmit power? I am a n00b so don't really understand that stuff. But logic tells me if you have the best antenna money can buy it might not do shit if you don't have a good wifi card.

So thanks for any input.

I hate to bump threads but I got to know what should I get? I need wifi card that works under linux and can do some light WEP cracking, will be used like 3 times for cracking wep, otherwise just the basics of web browsing.

Should I get what I posted above or something else? Any input is appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

The Alfa AWUS036H 500mw (USB) comes recommended in a few posts on the forums. Search and you will find more info on it here. The Orinoco Classic Gold is recommended as well(PCMCIA). I have the Alfa and have to say it works fine for cracking WEP. Its USB so am able to use it directly with the VMWare Backtrack image or on my notebook. Am pretty happy with it. You do have to use Ndiswrapper to connect to WPA though. Look for =Tron='s tut on how to set it up. Made it really easy. If you get it search the forums for ALFA and txpower to up the pwr. I know how fustrating it can be trying to decide on a card, searched around quite a bit before I decided to get the ALFA. Its not cheap though. Some say it has trouble keeping a connection, personally I haven't run into that, but others have. If your starting out VMWare is a nice way to learn.

OK thanks, but I just got my PCI card in the mail. It is a Realtek 8185 card, downloading Backtrack for like the millionth time, gonna try it out, I am in Windows it is working great.

Quote Originally Posted by easycheese13 View Post
    Their are drivers out on the web that will make the card work if their are no native drivers in backtrack 3.
    You could also buy an Orinoco Classic Gold, My PERSONAL opinion its the best card, but i'm sure someone will disagree.
    Too bad it doesn't work in BT3...
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

JMC31337

Default While we are on the subject

I thought i would chime in and say
    Wusb54g is a pretty nice external USB interface
    get V4
    and its no bigger than a double pack of cards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast