Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How can I stop someone hacking into my AP?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I've never seen an access point broadcast a bunch of ssid's trying to be a repeater.
    hmmm... yeah, good point. a repeater would probably probe only one ESSID...

Developer

Thats not entirely true. I have a wrt54gL router which utilizes the auto AP script w/ dd-wrt firmware which does a network scan every 2 mins and connects to either the strongest open wifi access point or it can connect to encrypted ones if I have provided the key in a file on the router.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Autoap

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Thats not entirely true. I have a wrt54gL router which utilizes the auto AP script w/ dd-wrt firmware which does a network scan every 2 mins and connects to either the strongest open wifi access point or it can connect to encrypted ones if I have provided the key in a file on the router.

Bad ju-ju if you're wardriving....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Developer

I dont use it for that. Originally it was just a project I called "EvilAP" where I added 9 db antennas and a 2 gig sd card and ran all the sniffer tools I could on it. I never really found a use for that however now it has a new use. When I'm out of town and I get that one suck hotel room that is to far from the hotel AP I just fire up my AP and use it instead.

I dont use it for that. Originally it was just a project I called "EvilAP" where I added 9 db antennas and a 2 gig sd card and ran all the sniffer tools I could on it. I never really found a use for that however now it has a new use. When I'm out of town and I get that one suck hotel room that is to far from the hotel AP I just fire up my AP and use it instead.
    Good times, more of a heads-up to anyone thinking along using that for wardriving.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

well, since the guy that's accessing your network has to be somewhere nearby, i would scan for networks until i find his bssid..... start walking down the street in the direction the signal gets very strong..... knock on his door, and punch him right in the neck. seriously. or maybe just change your key....

Quote Originally Posted by baked View Post
    well, since the guy that's accessing your network has to be somewhere nearby, i would scan for networks until i find his bssid..... start walking down the street in the direction the signal gets very strong..... knock on his door, and punch him right in the neck. seriously. or maybe just change your key....
    Wow, that's a good way to get shot.

Might want to check your own gear. I had a pocket pc that was misconfigured that was driving me nuts for a couple days until I figured it out.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

JMC31337

use slackfire and/or WPA and/or just turn the damn network off LOL!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123