Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to cause a Core Dump from a Seg Fault and GDB (Exploit Writing)

Good friend of the forums

Is it an absolute address or a relative address? I wuda thought an x86 CPU used a relative address for the return address of a function. If it's a relative address, then you just have to analyse the machine code for the function and count to the location of the return address.

If it's an absolute address though, I wouldn't know where to start.
    Whats a absolute and relative address?

Default Life

Sorry for the delay on input. Real life showed up again.

Compaq: I understand what you are saying; I'm just having difficulty implementing. Then again I haven't had much time to play with it.

I'll let you know.
    Thank you both of you for your help.

P.S. Has anyone found anything on my original questions?

Default Hibernate

This thread is going to hibernate for a little time. Sorry about this, I really appreciate your help, but I have some other responsibilities going on right now, so the fun stuff gets put on the back burner.

Thank you for understanding!

JMC31337

Default To get the CORE DUMP

all you have to do in a console window is initiate it with the following:

ulimit -c unlimited

Default Thank you!

I truly apologize for bring back an old thread, but I was going to let it die until I realized that I hadn't thanked people for their input. Thank you. Although I still have questions on exploit writing, I have new leads now so some more googling lies in my future and any unanswered questions will appear as new threads in order to help the forum organization.

Thank you all for your help, I'm sorry for the delay, and I apologize for bring back a 4~ish month old thread.

I'd recommend you to get the Shellcoders Handbook. It gives you a good overview on how to proceed and you might find your question answered.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    I'd recommend you to get the Shellcoders Handbook. It gives you a good overview on how to proceed and you might find your question answered.
    I second this. Its a great book and simply crucial for exploit writing.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Thanks for the reference. It seems like a pretty good book as the excerpt was well written. I'll look into it a little more. Might just be my Christmas gift to myself along with a N810.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12