Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BlueProton GSKY wireless card?

Just burned his ISO

Default BlueProton GSKY wireless card?

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with a BlueProton Gsky usb wireless adapter. I was searching for a cheap powerful usb wireless card and came across this while searching for the alfa.

blueproton.com/BlueProton-GSKY-Wireless-G-USB-2.0/M/B001GQK8FO.htm

Apparently it looks exactly just like the alfa and uses the same chipset, but I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience.

Just burned his ISO

anyone have any information?

Default *

Never heard of it, actually. But it looks good enough.

Just burned his ISO

Default Not the same as Alfa

Figured I'd post my experience if anyone else has the same question- I bought one of the Gsky adapters a little while ago when Blue Proton had them on sale, I already own the Alfa and had been planning to get another. On their blog they say it is better than the Alfa AWUS036H so at half the price I grabbed one. After receiving it I posted a comment on their blog asking them how they confirmed it was better, but evidently my comment did not make it past "pending moderation". It does not use the same chipset as the Alfa, it uses a different version of Realtek. I don't know how the chipsets compare spec-wise, but on a Windows PC it picked up less APs and the signals were weaker too. And by quite a bit I might add, less than half the APs detected, and signals about 40%-60% weaker. I run Backtrack3 from CD and it automatically recognizes my Alfa, but it did not recognize the Gsky. I didn't try installing Linux drivers for it yet. I was hoping to hear from the seller (Blue Proton) what methods they used to conclude it was better than the Alfa AWUS036H.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by dontaskme View Post
    Figured I'd post my experience if anyone else has the same question- I bought one of the Gsky adapters a little while ago when Blue Proton had them on sale, I already own the Alfa and had been planning to get another. On their blog they say it is better than the Alfa AWUS036H so at half the price I grabbed one. After receiving it I posted a comment on their blog asking them how they confirmed it was better, but evidently my comment did not make it past "pending moderation". It does not use the same chipset as the Alfa, it uses a different version of Realtek. I don't know how the chipsets compare spec-wise, but on a Windows PC it picked up less APs and the signals were weaker too. And by quite a bit I might add, less than half the APs detected, and signals about 40%-60% weaker. I run Backtrack3 from CD and it automatically recognizes my Alfa, but it did not recognize the Gsky. I didn't try installing Linux drivers for it yet. I was hoping to hear from the seller (Blue Proton) what methods they used to conclude it was better than the Alfa AWUS036H.
    Im planning to buy a Gsky usb wifi, but after reading this article Im a bit confused. What type of chipsets does your Gsky have: RTL8187L or RTL8187B?

Exclamation

you really should check out the hardware compatibility list at http://wiki.remote-exploit.org not all cards with the same chipset have the same firmware or you might end up with one with a custom manufacturers firmware that has something you need disabled.

Its better to buy a known good card once than a cheap one that doesn't work!

Dlradlt
    Just cause I don't have ten thousand posts don't mean I'm a newbie or a Idiot ! :cool: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask Google first! ;) The biggest problem I had as a Linux newbie was I didn't know to ask Google the right questions!:eek:

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by dlradlt View Post

Dlradlt
    I agree with you. It is better to buy an Alfa wifi adaptor.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by dlradlt View Post
    you really should check out the hardware compatibility list at /wiki.remote-exploit. not all cards with the same chipset have the same firmware or you might end up with one with a custom manufacturers firmware that has something you need disabled.

Dlradlt
    Not trying to steal this thread but.. what your saying is that even with the same chip sets there maybe compatibility problems? because I just purchased a D-Link usb wua 2340 dongle but not listed on the wiki (since it is sort of out dated).. with an atheo chip set but it seems not to be working wasn't sure if it was the driver or hardware problem..

but back to the original thread I believe the SKY dongle is a 8187b an the alpha is a 8187l the b version is a cheaper version compared to the l if i remember correctly..

Quote Originally Posted by trying View Post
    Not trying to steal this thread but.. what your saying is that even with the same chip sets there maybe compatibility problems? because I just purchased a D-Link usb wua 2340 dongle but not listed on the wiki (since it is sort of out dated).. with an atheo chip set but it seems not to be working wasn't sure if it was the driver or hardware problem..
    Yes that is exactly what I'm saying.

Different manufacturer's will use the same chip-set and cut costs any way they can. The end result being different performance and capability from the exactly same chip-set. firmware differences also affect different things as well.

We tend to get what we pay for. Cheap doesn't mean better!
    Just cause I don't have ten thousand posts don't mean I'm a newbie or a Idiot ! :cool: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask Google first! ;) The biggest problem I had as a Linux newbie was I didn't know to ask Google the right questions!:eek:

Just burned his ISO

well just learn t something interesting.. because I was thinking of purchasing a few sample unit from a manufacturer in China who has the same 8187l chipset but the unit are in the 30db range and more.. so I guess I'm going to have to take my chances and hopefully the usb dongles are compatible,, by the way.. the wholesale prices on the Sky and Alpha are almost the same I believe there is only a 10 dollar difference in pricing/unit 100 pcs the retailers are marking them up in a large way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast