Thread: booting options

Just burned his ISO

Default booting options

I've gotten this idea in my head to install BT3 on a usb device (small CF HD). Now I realize that most older pc's (or locked ones) don't allow booting from usb. Is it possible to have a computer boot from a cd which points at the usb device for the rest of the startup?

Alternatively: can I set BT3 up in a way that every cd-session is saved on a usb-device, and that it knows how to retrieve it while booting up from usb?

grtz

Junior Member imported_Yottabit's Avatar

Lightbulb lilo on a disk

this is possible i have done it with damn small linux on a disk which brought up a tiny os with usb support which then handed control over to my damn small linux usb stick.

floppy disk with grub installed?
    if a solution to a problem is stupid and works, it is not stupid.

"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine." - Bill Gates :rolleyes:

Just burned his ISO

I'd really prefer booting from a cd (with grub on it, if need be) instead of a floppy. Most laptops don't have a floppy disk drive.

I've already tried a cd with SuperGrub on it, but it couldn't boot from the usb stick, so I might have to assemble something from scratch, but I don't really know how to start on that.

Junior Member imported_Yottabit's Avatar

Exclamation Supergrub should do it.

wat error or output did you get
    if a solution to a problem is stupid and works, it is not stupid.

"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine." - Bill Gates :rolleyes:

Just burned his ISO

I think it couldn't find the distribution on the usb-drive

Just burned his ISO

I tried something else today: the files in the /boot folder were placed on cd, the files in /BT3 on the usb drive. And that failed too.

Thinking about starting to work with cd-rw's now ;-)