Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remote desktop XP from bt3

Default remote desktop XP from bt3

I'm trying to figure out how to remote desktop from bt3 to my XP desktop. I've searched the forum for information on VNC, but did not find too much information. I did a google search, but most of the programs that were offered allowed remote desktop from any internet connection. I only want remote desktop to be accessible from a machine on my network (ie: no computer from the internet should be able to remote desktop to my XP machine.)

Which software should I install on my XP machine and do I have to install additional software on my bt3 laptop ?

thanks.

p.s. sorry for the noob question, but I could not find answers to my question anywhere.

You can remote into your XP machine via rdesktop but I'm not entirely sure that is what you are looking for, but nonetheless have a look at it.

Just burned his ISO

I think what you are looking for is VNC Viewer. With that you will be able to log into BT3 from XP. The only other thing would be putting Backtrack3 onto a VM and using it as a VM

Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor2002 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how to remote desktop from bt3 to my XP desktop. I've searched the forum for information on VNC, but did not find too much information. I did a google search, but most of the programs that were offered allowed remote desktop from any internet connection. I only want remote desktop to be accessible from a machine on my network (ie: no computer from the internet should be able to remote desktop to my XP machine.)

Which software should I install on my XP machine and do I have to install additional software on my bt3 laptop ?

thanks.

p.s. sorry for the noob question, but I could not find answers to my question anywhere.

implement an internal network (192.168.0.x) that consist only by your xp pc and bt3 pc... then you can vnc/rdp to and from the both units
    XP.sp3 | BT3F | 8GB SDHC 2GB RAM
    Asus EEE PC 701B
    bagito | manila pride :D

thanks guys !!

I think rdesktop is what I needed. After doing some searches, I found this resolved my problem:
    "[in xp] My Computer" Right click on properties
    Select Remote
    Check "Allow users to remotely connect to this computer"
    Make sure your user is allowed in "Select Remote Users"
    Also make sure your windows firewall in SP2 is allowing remote desktop

Not sure if administrator will work, you best bet is to give you admin a username and password and connect using it..."

( http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...efused-266791/ )

so from a terminal window in bt3 I type the following:
    bt ~ # rdesktop 192.168.1.2 (where 192.168.1.2 is my xp machine)

then type in the username and password I setup on my xp OS.

!vnc

vncviewer 192.168.x.x

back connect :

vncviewer -listen

How is that good for the Howto section of the site? Or BackTrack? Maybe you would better off first search Google on how to remote desktop from linux to windows, as your question is quite not related to BackTrack at all..

ok, after trying out rdesktop, it worked great. However, my xp machine is running zonealarm. So I had to shutdown zonealarm to be able to rdesktop to my xp machine. This was a bit of a pain. So after installing vcn server on my xp machine, I am using vcnviewer from my bt3 to connect to my xp machine.

Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor2002 View Post
    ok, after trying out rdesktop, it worked great. However, my xp machine is running zonealarm. So I had to shutdown zonealarm to be able to rdesktop to my xp machine. This was a bit of a pain. So after installing vcn server on my xp machine, I am using vcnviewer from my bt3 to connect to my xp machine.
    You should be able to allow vnc through zone alarm, most good firewalls have that ability.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

yes, vnc is configurable with zonealarm and is working properly for me. But I could not get rdesktop to get past my zonealarm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast