Java 6 suddenly no longer installed *resolved*
Well this is the weirdest thing. Some how Java on my installation of backtrack 3 has all of a sudden stopped working. I got a message from firefox telling me that I need to install the plugin. Earlier today it was working just fine and I restarted the computer I have backtrack installed on and now it isn't working anymore. Any ideas on how or why this might of happened and how I can go about installing it.
thank you in advance
So reinstall it?
I attempted this and it didn't work. I got the self-extracting .bin file and ran it but firefox doesn't see it
Originally Posted by johnnyca
I managed to fix it ok
Sorry for the stupid post you can delete it if you want
Here is what I did though if anyone is interested:
1. I downloaded the self-extracting file from java.com:
2. I then created a new directory to install it to:
You can install it anywhere but the installation instructions suggested it here.
3. I copied the .bin to the directory I want to install it
cp /root/jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin /usr/java
4. Then I set the permissions (I don't think you really have to do this)
chmod a+x jre-6u<version>-linux-i586-rpm.bin
5. Once permissions are set I ran the .bin file
note** type yes to agree with the license agreement
6. cd to directory firefox/plugins is installed
7. Link the java lib to the firefox plugins
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_07/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
note** You must be in the /usr/lib/firefox/plugins directory and you link from the directory you installed java in
8. Restart firefox
And there you go.. I think those were all the steps I did. You can follow the instructions on the java site if I messed anything up
p.s. thank you for your help
Glad it worked out. I'm having to reinstall Java myself, as the Java in my old BT2 won't support the new SpoonWEP and WPA.