Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspiron 6400, Dell 1390 WLAN, BCM43xx, WUSBG54GC, VMware, etc

Just burned his ISO

Post Inspiron 6400, Dell 1390 WLAN, BCM43xx, WUSBG54GC, VMware, etc

I have been trying to do some WEP crack using my Dell Inspiron 6400 (also called Inspiron E1505) for some time. Since this model of Dell is rather popular, I’d like to share what I think might be useful with other users, and also report some problems I found.

My Inspiron 6400 comes with a Dell 1390 WLAN Mini Card: PCIe interface, Broadcom 4311 chipset inside. In Backtrack 2 Final, this card is recognized (using bcm43xx driver), and monitor mode enabled. But the strange thing is, although Kismet can discover the networks of the WEAKEST signal strength, it cannot find the networks of the STRONGEST signal strength! (That is to say, Kismet cannot monitor your own network in your home, but it discovers the networks of your neighbors 1000 feet away.) Also, airmon-ng is working (of course, only on those discoverable by Kismet), but aireplay-ng is not. In other words, in the environment of Backtrack 2 Final, injection is not supported for Dell 1390 WLAN Mini Card, and the monitor mode is strangely crippled. (Even in the Managed mode, I couldn't connect to my own network.) Since Backtrack 2 Final is supposed to support Broadcom chipset, I would like to know the reason of this abnormal behavior on my PC. (Also, according to h t t p : / / bcm43xx.berlios.de/?go=devices Dell 1390 WLAN Mini Card Rev. 01 is supported, but I don’t know whether this is relevant to my case, and if it is relevant, how can I make use of it? I have both a Rev. 01 and Rev. 04, neither worked.)

After a long time of Googling and reading, I gave up using this internal card to do WEP crack. Since Insprion 6400 / E1505 comes with no PCMCIA / Cardbus slot, the only way left seems to be using a USB adapter. From h t t p : / / backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php?title=HCL:Wireless I noticed the comment on WUSB54GC was: "everything works," so I bought one and IT REALLY WORKED. I tested this adapter in three different environments – Backtrack 2 Final Live CD on real machine; Backtrack 2 Final Live CD on VMware; Backtrack 2 Final Hard Drive Installation on VMware – and IT ALL WORKED. The reason I can't test it in real Hard Drive Installation environment is, frankly, that I am a Linux newbie and don't have the courage to risk a dual boot on the real machine. (But note: this adapter has a RT73 chipset, however the driver is rt2500 when you run "airmon-ng start rausb0.") For those who are still hunting for a workable USB adapter, I think this model could be recommended. The only problem is, as I see it, its lack of sensitivity (this can be clearly seen when compare it with Dell 1390 WLAN Mini Card under Windows XP environment). But maybe you can enhance it by using some sort of antenna or "cantenna"? (see this link for example: h t t p : / / w w w .aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=cantenna_directional_antenna_with_gain &DokuWiki=49f0f01544a9f9220e811d4acacbbe17 )

Now I would like to describe a phenomenon I found when trying to attack a certain AP. My attack was unsuccessful but I didn't know the reason, so I hope someone could help me out, or at least help me to understand my failure.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________When I was attacking this AP, at first, everything seemed OK, IVs were increasing rather rapidly (about 200 #/s), but I soon noticed that this #/s was constantly slowing down. In about 5 minutes, this number dropped below 10. I checked the Konsole of "aireplay-ng -3 –a < > -h < > rausb0" and found that although airodump-ng has colleted more than 100 thousands of IVs, there were only a couple of hundreds of ARP requests. I then tried deauthentication (on ONE and on ALL clients), but I didn't see any observable difference in the speed of either ARP requests’ or IVs’ increasing. I have also tried to stop this session of attack and start over again ( I thought I could take advantage of the high speed at the beginning of the attack, so that after several times of re-starting, I could've collected enough IVs to run aircrack-ng.) But this also failed because it seemed there were many identical IVs in the different IVS files saved by different sessions. I also tried aircrack-ptw, but as you can expect, it couldn't help either because of the small number of ARP requests. I really don't understand this "Many IVs, Few ARP Requests" phenomenon. (I suppose "Few IVs, Few ARP Requests" is understandable?) Is there a way to do something else on this AP?
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Just burned his ISO

Default No Response?

I presume this post is too long to read? Nobody responded to my questions yet... Disappointed...

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by cogito_bt View Post
    I presume this post is too long to read? Nobody responded to my questions yet... Disappointed...
    its best you format it so that it is easier to read

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

REALLY TOO CONFUSING POST
    please be clear an precise and format your text as we can read it well .... you'll have more chance of answers.....................
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

Question OK I'll try

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    REALLY TOO CONFUSING POST
    please be clear an precise and format your text as we can read it well .... you'll have more chance of answers.....................
    Well, at least someone said something

I reformat my original post in this way:

I was concerned about two issues:

First, Backtrack 2 Final is supposed to support Broadcom cards, but my Dell 1390 WLAN Mini Card (Broadcome 4311 Chipset inside) didn't work in BT 2 Final. Two things were noticed: Using Kismet (using bcm43xx driver, monitor mode enabled), this card could listen to the networks with weakest signal strength (and it could perform airodump-ng ONLY on these networks), but surprisingly, it couldn't discover the network with strongest signal strength (i.e. my own network at home)! In addition, it couldn't perform injection at all. I would like to know why this happened.

Also, if you don't mind, I have a question related to this card: according to ht tp://bcm43xx.berlios.de/?go=devices Dell 1390 WLAN Mini Card Rev. 01 is supported, but I don’t know whether this is relevant to my case, and if it is relevant, how can I make use of it? I have both a Rev. 01 and Rev. 04, neither worked.)

Second, I had a "Many IVs, Few ARP requests" problem when attacking a 802.11b AP using WUSB54GC. Here are the details:

When I was attacking this AP, at first, everything seemed OK, IVs were increasing rather rapidly (about 200 #/s), but I soon noticed that this #/s was constantly slowing down. In about 5 minutes, this number dropped below 10. I checked the Konsole of "aireplay-ng -3 –a <AP's MAC> -h <My Card's MAC> rausb0" and found that although airodump-ng has colleted more than 100 thousands of IVs, there were only a couple of hundreds of ARP requests. I then tried deauthentication (on ONE and on ALL clients), but I didn't see any observable difference in the speed of either ARP requests’ or IVs’ increasing. I have also tried to stop this session of attack and start over again ( I thought I could take advantage of the high speed at the beginning of the attack, so that after several times of re-starting, I could've collected enough IVs to run aircrack-ng.) But this also failed because it seemed there were many identical IVs in the different IVS files saved by different sessions. I also tried aircrack-ptw, but as you can expect, it couldn't help either because of the small number of ARP requests. I really don't understand this "Many IVs, Few ARP Requests" phenomenon. I would like to know the causes of this phenomenon.

Thanks a lot!! and hope this time it's easier to read!!

Just burned his ISO

Default Please Help!

I am having the same problem. I have a Broadcom 1390 wlan (Latitude D820), with the bcm43xx drivers. I can see networks that are really far away, but all the networks that are really close (that I see when I am in XP environment), I cannot see. According to the compatibility page, my card does work (just does not support packet injection). Any suggestions? Please remember that I am really new with Linux, so please... in laments terms, thanks!

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

in lament words, BUY A NEW CARD, SUPPORT IS SKETCHY AS BEST............
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

Does anyone have an answer that does not require me to buy another card?

Does anyone have an answer that does not require me to buy another card?
    No

Look on ebay for IPW4965 or IPW3945 I have seen lots go for under 20.00$ USD
    Also DWL-G650 for under 20$
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

Just burned his ISO

Anybody???

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast