nMax Wireless 802.11n PCI Card

what chipset has it?
    anyone knowes?

if search all sites but no result

greetz

EDIMAX typically uses ralink.

google.com, second result for EW-7728In chipset:

http://www.faculty-x.net/edi-300mbps_pci.htm

Oh and is that a count of WEP keys and WPA keys cracked in your signature?

Quote: Oh and is that a count of WEP keys and WPA keys cracked in your signature?

I hope not, i wouldn't be bragging about it if it was, i've left airosnort on for a day and a half before and it managed more keys than that!

In my defence though airosnort was only running to stop my wireless card failing as i attempted a long kismet session to try and catch someone leeching off my mates wireless......

Is that way of key cracking 'illegal' in the same was as more active attacks, since airosnort is passive and assuming you didn't try to connect with your new key you never actually make contact with the AP/network.

TT
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

talkie,

Maybe some more senior legal minded folk here can guide you a little better but I'll tell you what I know.

There are, as you know, multiple ways to crack WEP. The way I've used most in my testing is the arpreplay method (-3). As I understand it, this method would not be considered illegal but is unethical. The reason I say that is your are actually manipulating the target AP to send you more IVs by inject an ARP packet over and over. You are communicating with that AP.

Another method (deauth, -0) requires you to deauthenticate one or all clients associated with the AP to obtain the ARP packet. This, in my mind, is illegal. There are some other methods as well but most of the common ones require you to reinject an ARP packet, all of which require manipulating the AP.

Now, I'm not sure how airosnort works as I've not played with it, but if it's truly just passivly cracking the WEP key with the IVs that it sniffs, then I can't see how that would be illegal nor unethical. I know it to be illegal to USE the WEP key, as you stated.

I think the line for me is when you are communicating with that AP and manipulating it to give you what you want so you can exploit its flawed authentication. That, in my opinion, is illegal. As I said, I don't think it's illegal but I consider it to be.

Anyone that's study this or know the answer care to chime in?

BTW, I believe talkie is in australia so I'm not sure how much US law is relevant there.

Quote Originally Posted by theberries View Post
    Anyone that's study this or know the answer care to chime in?
    Regardless of possible legal issues with the topic, which naturally will vary depending on your location, it is strictly against the forum rules:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8808
    • Do not post about breaking into networks that do not belong to you and for which you have no permissions.

• Posts like - "Oooh! look!! I've cracked my neighbours wireless AP" or "How do I hack a network!?" are not needed here, thanks.
    However, I am sure that someone more familiar with the legal aspects of the question will be happy to give you some advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by theberries View Post
    BTW, I believe talkie is in australia so I'm not sure how much US law is relevant there.
    Last time I checked Scotland was not in Australia. And no, US legislation does not apply outside of USA.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Last time I checked Scotland was not in Australia. And no, US laws do not apply outside of USA.
    Ok, my bad, Scotland. The mate thing was influencing me. I looked at his profile but I probably just missed it somewhere.

And yes, of course, US laws are not enforced outside the US. What I was asking (and should have worded better) was how similar US laws would be to laws whereever he is.

Question

In Scotland our laws around the radio spectrum are the same as in England/UK in general however in Scotland there is a legal need to show intent to break the law, and also a third verdict of Not Proven (which basically means we think you done it,but can't prove it right now,so we reserve the right to take you to court again at a later date)

So......

By my thinking totally passively collected keys would be fine, just obviously don't go connecting......

But the stored airodump/kismet captures you get the key from may be thought of as invading someones privacy or some charge like that.....

So keys fine, cap/dump files not? in theory of course?

TT

p.s. for something totally unrelated to computers i was once actually charged under our wireless and telegraphy act,1971. £80 fine

pps. sorry for going off topic, its just i've been playing with wesside-ng and karmetasploit lately, and i'm actually having to dig out old crap anntennas to cut down my wireless range to within my property so i don't harm any of my neighbours! So this whole legal thing is at the front of my mind......
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Just burned his ISO

Yes, it is ralink.

Backtack 3 see no ath0 rausb0 or something like that, it is a 300mbs card

are they supported yet?

ok @ the weekend i have more time for that

thanks

Oh and is that a count of WEP keys and WPA keys cracked in your signature?
    yes it is, but they are from a little town and they are my neighbours and i give them a tip about there wifi

Default Idea, and a warning

Try typing:

dmesg | grep pci
    and
    lsmod | grep pci

and copy/pase the results here for us to look at.

TT

Ps. the neighbour thing..... for the sake of legality I'll assume your doing it passively , Well telling them is a BAD idea, like really bad. You may think your being helpful (and in some ways probably are) but people can be so narrow minded when it comes to wireless and security. If anyone, and i mean ANYONE like the local anti-social f*ck thinks for some reason their wireless is getting 'hacked' (usually just a random flashing router light,or their own downloaded trojans and shit....) and call the police, and then mention to them that they've heard about town that you can 'hack', well i'm sure you can imagine the consequences.

Confiscation of all computer equipment for a start, then forensic examination of your pc for evidence of possible crimes. And lets be honest here folks,who would want to hand their pc to law enforcement? there are many 'law enforcement' people on this forum who probably wouldn't want too!

Mp3's, that copy of office you needed for something and torrented and hash dumps for practice obtained through google hacking might seem 'innocent' and harmless at the time, but it will look totally different from the inside of a courtroom.......

sorry to sound like such a hard ass about it but seriously dude, get written permission and crack a deal to fix their pc or something, best to cover yourself.

Just burned his ISO

bt ~ # dmesg | grep pci
    ACPI: bus type pci registered
    PCI: If a device doesn't work, try "pci=routeirq". If it helps, post a report
    Allocate Port Service[0000:00:0f.0cie00]
    Allocate Port Service[0000:00:0f.0cie03]
    pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5
    ath_pci: svn r3726
    ath_pci: wifi0: Atheros 5212: mem=0xfdee0000, irq=20
    bt ~ # lsmod | grep pci
    ath_pci 256568 0
    wlan 226416 4 wlan_scan_sta,ath_rate_sample,ath_pci
    ath_hal 307168 3 ath_rate_sample,ath_pci
    bt ~ #
    i am very interested in w-lan security, i tell them now nothing more.