Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MacBook Pro aircard configuration

Just burned his ISO

Default MacBook Pro aircard configuration

Hi all,

So the first time I tried posting this, it didn't come through. I posted yesterday evening, and I've seen a significant number of posts come through since then, so I'm assuming that it was rejected by a mod because I tried to post a URL

So I officially hate AirportExtreme. Completely new to all of this, started off running OSX on my MacBookPro (the 2008 version with the nvidia8600). DLed Aircrack suite, but Aireplay and Airodump aren't supported on OSX. So I DLed KisMac as my sniffer/pcap dumper. Unfortunately, KisMac doesn't do packet injection with the AirportExtreme, and I don't know enough about any of the injectors I could find (most were called packet crafters which made me think that I have to design an authentication packet before I send it, an endeavour I would be totally lost in).

All I want to do is crack my router's WEP key, just to see if I can. (128 bit)

So anyways, I saw on the kisMac forum that an alternative was to load up BackTrack 3 and just run the Aircrack-ng suite in its entirety, and that it was possible to do packet injection then.

So I burned Backtrack 3 Final to a liveCD (I'm already dualbooting to windows, and although I've heard that you can triple-boot, it sounds really complex and something that I'm not ready to tackle yet).

Now, I boot it up on the KDE desktop, and first thing I do is try to use firefox. No dice. Duh, I figure, I need to connect to my router first. Now I pop open the wifi manager, and it says something like "Could not Autodetect Wireless Interface". It gives me this message 4 times, I would assume that it's one for each tab in the wireless manager. I've looked in the list of PCI devices, and I think I found my AirportExtreme in that list. It says something about "Broadcom" and "wireless", so I think that it probably is (I'll write down the full text next time I boot).

I searched the forums for similar problems and couldn't find anything similar. The wiki says that it's supposed to "work out of the box" (I'd send the link but I don't think it's allowed til I have 15 posts), so I figured it's time to post.

I also have a Cradlepoint USB N wireless adapter with a AR9170 chipset, and it comes with drivers built in to load when plugged in, but when I insert it with the liveCD it shows up as a flash drive (due to aforementioned autoload drivers). I don't know where to find its drivers for OSX or Linux. That's a possibility, but really I want to get my airport to function. So, if anyone:

1. Knows how to configure the LiveCD to recognize my airportExtreme, I don't mind reconfiguring every time I boot as long as it works.
    2. Knows of a packet injector that works on OSX and can point me towards documentation on how to use it (particularly I want to perform an authentication flood)
    3. Knows where to find AR9170 drivers and can show me how to install them (I have NO clue)

I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

When you boot up backtrack, open up a terminal and type 'lspci'. You'll see a list of your PCI devices...in that list somewhere will be something along these lines:

05:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5416 802.11abgn Wireless PCI Adapter (rev 01)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5418 802.11abgn Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

One of those cards is straight out of my macbook pro, the same revision as yours, and both work superbly. If your readout matches either of those exactly, then you should be able to figure it out with the help of the google terms 'ath5k', 'ath9k' and/or 'madwifi'.

If it doesn't match exactly, well those terms will probably help anyway.

As an aside, I got some really nice results in OS X by porting kismet with fink/macports and then running kismet as a drone, which I then set kismac to listen to. The result was full functionality with an airport extreme from within OS X (no virtual machine), the robustness of kismet, and the graphical practicality of kismac. If you want to try that route, it wasn't entirely straightforward, you need to make sure to get the kismet-devel and not the kismet-newcore, and tweak a thing or two.

Good luck!

Just burned his ISO

Somehow I missed your last paragraph, you may need ath9k, but try the madwifi daily snapshot because ath9k will want a kernel update I believe.

Edit: I wrote you a long response that, as my first post, is still pending approval... To sum it up, ath9k, ath5k, and or madwifi. Furthermore, the secret lies in using macports/fink to port kismet to your native OS X installation. Run kismet as a drone and tell kismac to use kismet_drone as it's interface. Voilà, packet injection natively with OS X and airport extreme cards, and a GUI to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDucky View Post
    3. Knows where to find AR9170 drivers and can show me how to install them (I have NO clue)
    AR9170 is an Atheros chipset and madwifi, which is the Linux driver for Atheros based cards, does not support any USB connectable card. In short there is consequently no way to inject using that card.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

I'm pretty sure that I'm using a broadcom chipset.

Most MacBook Pros use an Atheros AR5BXB72, which is the same card I have in my signature (AR5008E-3NX, AR5418). I don't have the card yet, but it is reported to work out of the box with BT3 in the madwifi wiki. I would post a link, but don't have the privilege yet.

Also, how new is your MBP? Knowing its age would help to identify the card.
    ThinkPad T400

Just burned his ISO

I bought it in early 2008. It is definitely a broadcom chipset. I will post the specific chipset and model when I get home tonight, and screens if they let me.

So yeah. Spring 08.

Any help appreciated. I really want to get this working.

Just burned his ISO

Okay, this is copy-pasted from my System Profiler:

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8C)
    Wireless Card Locale: USA
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.46.11)
    Current Wireless Network: *******
    Wireless Channel: 11

I am also running OSX 10.5.5 if it helps.

Well, in apple's infinite wisdom they decided to go with a broadcom chipset, of which you're a new proud, albeit frustrated, owner. I was lucky enough to get a MB in Aug 07 that had the atheros chip.

I'll have to do some poking around but as I recall, broadcom drives don't support injection. The problem lies in the manufacturer's unwillingness to release their driver to the opensource community. Best attempts are trying to hack/reverse engineer their proprietary drivers. I believe there is SOME driver out there that allows these wireless chips to inject, but I can't give you any more info than that.

I'll be looking into this as I'd really like to get those new MBs they released yesterday.

EDIT: Looking at aircrack's compatibality list, you'll see that broadcom bcm43xx injection is supported via a patched driver. Looks a little iffy, though from the thread supplied:

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?...bility_drivers

Good luck!

Just burned his ISO

Okay, I think I'm just going to invest in an express card adapter I'm tired of messing with broadcom. Anyone know of a good one that preferably uses a PRISM 2 chipset? I guess I would also be interested in USB dongles for their adaptability.

God help you if you make a 'that's what she said' joke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast