Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your system specs

900Mhz Celeron, 2Gb ram, 4Gb hard drive, atheros wifi. Runs great.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Default good

That makes me feel better, I bought a 256 stick to add to my 128, if that really helps I might bump it up. How much memory can bt3 linux address? its 32 bit so 3.7gb?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Upsman View Post
    That makes me feel better, I bought a 256 stick to add to my 128, if that really helps I might bump it up. How much memory can bt3 linux address? its 32 bit so 3.7gb?
    A better question to ask, if you're planning to use the machine you stated, is what is the maximum amount of ram you can install in it.

Many older machines are limited.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    A better question to ask, if you're planning to use the machine you stated, is what is the maximum amount of ram you can install in it.

Many older machines are limited.
    Some newer machines are limited. My mini-itx board can only do 1Gb of ram. Even if I put a 2Gb stick in, it still only addresses 1gb.

@Upsman, your laptop can go up to 1Gb according to Uncle Google.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Default You are correct

You are correct some older boxes can not , but this box is of the XP erra and most 32 bit systems of that erra could address 3.7....

ps is that really u in your avitar?

pps has anyone on here done a Ubuntu install and loaded all these tools by hand?

Tons of work I'm sure

You are correct some older boxes can not , but this box is of the XP erra and most 32 bit systems of that erra could address 3.7....

pps has anyone on here done a Ubuntu install and loaded all these tools by hand?

Tons of work I'm sure
    I've installed quite a few of these tools in Ubuntu, a lot of them are already in the repositories. They are usually a version or two behind though.

Tons of work I'm sure
    Just because the OS could address that much RAM doesn't mean the computer supports that much installed. I've seen many laptops that only support 1 or 2 gigs. It hasn't been until recently that I've seen them support 4 or more Gigs.

Umm, Yep, that's really me in my Avatar, most of the computer work in my area is done by the Amish.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Default true

yeah thats true I guess..... I havent thought about the old boxes in a long time. You know some day we will all think 4 Gb of mem is funny.

you see the latest internet scam? , Amish mericle heaters, do a search.

yeah thats true I guess..... I havent thought about the old boxes in a long time. You know some day we will all think 4 Gb of mem is funny.

you see the latest internet scam? , Amish mericle heaters, do a search.
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9184202AAQF5w3

3. The website of the heater's manufacturer (Heat Surge, a company in Ohio that has nothing to do with the Amish) is much more honest than the ads. It states clearly that the way the heater saves you money is if you turn off your central heat, buy one heater, use it to heat one room at a time, and move the heater from room to room as you move around. This is called "zone heating." See the Saves Money section of the website (www.heatsurge.com).
    If someone is using the Amish name for something like that they're doing it dishonestly. The Amish people in general are very honest people. Plus the Amish would never produce a product that requires electricity to run. They do produce, yes, there are Amish companies, that run on gasoline, but that's all farm equipment. The Amish generally heat their homes with Natural Gas, wood burning stoves and fire places.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12