Thread: Intermediate-level Karma problems

Question Intermediate-level Karma problems

I'm beyond the basics with BT3 and Karma: I can run the karma.xml and karma-scan.xml configuration files with no problem. I'm on an Asus EEE PC 900 that uses an atheros card with madwifi drivers.

Meanwhile, I can't get the most basic script to run: discovery. I'm up-to-date on make && make install with the ./src file, but I get a strange error that I can't find documented anywhere else on the site or through Google.

After successfully putting my ath0 interface into monitor mode, running "./src/karma ath0" gives me the following error: "init_pcap: pcap_open_live: bind: Network is down"

Since the error is obscure and I can't decompile ./src/karma, I can't point you to the original source code. But I'm stumped, and the only thing I really want to use karma for is passive discovery of network preferences.

Any ideas? I have a problem with another aspect of Karma, but I'm going to take it one at a time.

Thanks for your time.

Are you logged in as root or different user?

I'm asking because i found that in another forum, searching for your error message:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=409350
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

I'll check it out tonight and report back. I should be running as root, since that's how I login manually to BT, but I'll double check.

... So strange that I can't get Karma's most basic functionality to work.