Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Passive tap?

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    That tap looks pretty good. It could be your switch acting funny.
    I think ill take the tap home with me and test it out on my home network. see how that goes.

I haven't played with Barnyard, I'm gonna download it and see what it does. I'll post back some results.
    Im not to sure what it dose either. it was just part of the instructions i found on installing snort on centos5.

Also, im not sure if this effects the tap. But could the fact that I chopped up a “cat5” cable to use for my wiring not a “cat5e” effect it? I am going to be kicking myself if that is the case.. hahaha

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Dissident85 View Post
    Also, im not sure if this effects the tap. But could the fact that I chopped up a “cat5” cable to use for my wiring not a “cat5e” effect it? I am going to be kicking myself if that is the case.. hahaha
    No, it shouldn't matter between CAT5 and CAT5e as long as you're not trying to do Gigabit transmission.

I'd say, you don't really need Barnyard, so skip that step. Use BASE as your front end.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

No, it shouldn't matter between CAT5 and CAT5e as long as you're not trying to do Gigabit transmission.

I'd say, you don't really need Barnyard, so skip that step. Use BASE as your front end.
    mmm from what i understand Barnyard isnt the frontend.. BASE still is. because that was the next thing i was going to trouble shoot..

Hey Dissident85,

Can you post a link to the CentOS guide you are following?

mmm from what i understand Barnyard isnt the frontend.. BASE still is. because that was the next thing i was going to trouble shoot..

Quote Originally Posted by BOFH139 View Post
    Hey Dissident85,

Can you post a link to the CentOS guide you are following?
    hi,
    I was just using an updated one that was on the snort web site

http://www.internetsecurityguru.com/...d_CentOS_5.pdf

Yeah, you're right. I haven't ever used Barnyard. I'll see if I can find time to work on it today. But for now, what you should probably do is skip that step and just see if you can get Snort and Base running and then work on the other things later.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Yeah, you're right. I haven't ever used Barnyard. I'll see if I can find time to work on it today. But for now, what you should probably do is skip that step and just see if you can get Snort and Base running and then work on the other things later.
    mmm well i guess ill start with a fresh install of centos and see how i go

mmm well i guess ill start with a fresh install of centos and see how i go
    It's nice to see someone else using CentOS instead of all those other Distro's out there. I like CentOS, I have a couple machines at work running it, and I have my laptop dual booting to it.

It's nice to see someone else using CentOS instead of all those other Distro's out there. I like CentOS, I have a couple machines at work running it, and I have my laptop dual booting to it.
    Well from what I understand centos is basically redhat which is what I use for my web servers at work. As I don’t want to pay for a copy of redhat for my IDS so I though I might as well use centos. I was originally using debian but that was a nightmare and I and when I was trying to install snort and base I just had one major problem after another. Especially with php-pear!

My next project at work will be to get all the webservers running on centos 5. My bank’s API is only supported on RHEL 4… which is what I have my web servers running on at the moment, but I don’t see why it wont work on centos 5

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234