Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Passive tap?

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Can you post pictures of your constructed tap? I've posted pictures of mine before that correctly followed TIA568B specifications. I'll see if I can find a link to my pictures.

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...sive#post45995

Here's a couple of pics of my tap. I think if you read through this entire thread, you'll get some good pointers on making a tap.
    I just had a closer look at that tap in that above thread, it appears to be wired differently that mine is... it looks like the tap is not placed in the middle of the two host jacks, but it is an extension at the end of one of them.. is that correct? And is that a better way of doing it?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Dissident85 View Post
    I just had a closer look at that tap in that above thread, it appears to be wired differently that mine is... it looks like the tap is not placed in the middle of the two host jacks, but it is an extension at the end of one of them.. is that correct? And is that a better way of doing it?
    You're right, my tap does have the mid points as an extension off of one end. I did that because Electrically, they're the same, and it was easier to assemble that way.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

I was just playing around with it... just by connecting a cable to it will cause it to loose its connection and the cable isnít even connected to a NIC!!!!

I was just playing around with it... just by connecting a cable to it will cause it to loose its connection and the cable isnít even connected to a NIC!!!!
    Sounds like you might have a broken wire somewhere that just by plugging in a cable causes it to open.

Do you have an Ohm meter? Test continuity between all points with and without a cable plugged in.. Make sure you don't have any Nics connected when you test it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Sounds like you might have a broken wire somewhere that just by plugging in a cable causes it to open.

Do you have an Ohm meter? Test continuity between all points with and without a cable plugged in.. Make sure you don't have any Nics connected when you test it.
    I donít have an Ohm meter in the office. But I doubt it would be that. because it only dose it when it is plugged in... as soon as I unplug the cable it is able to ping again. :S

and every time I have rebuilt it I use new wiring... and i get the same thing every time.

I donít have an Ohm meter in the office. But I doubt it would be that. because it only dose it when it is plugged in... as soon as I unplug the cable it is able to ping again. :S

and every time I have rebuilt it I use new wiring... and i get the same thing every time.
    Can you try it between a different pair of nics? Maybe the transceiver on one of the nics can't handle the extra load on the line? I don't know, it's really strange what you're seeing.

Well i cant get it to work. so i think i am just going to use a hub. at least that way i can get the IDS up and running. and once i get that going ill try to get it working with a passive tap...

Well i cant get it to work. so i think i am just going to use a hub. at least that way i can get the IDS up and running. and once i get that going ill try to get it working with a passive tap...
    A hub works as well. I've used one for a while without any issues. Your problem is definitely a strange one though.

Let me know if you need help getting Snort and such running.

A hub works as well. I've used one for a while without any issues. Your problem is definitely a strange one though.
    Ok, I am starting to think it might be my switch that is the problem :S its a D-Link DES-1026G I reconstructed the TAP as per the picture below. and what I found is that only when i connect the tap closest to the switch it fails. I then did the opposite and again the one closest to the switch fails.

Let me know if you need help getting Snort and such running.
    Well I posted on the snort.org forums asking for help. but i am still waiting for a reply. below is my post. if you have any ideas on what could be going wrong it would be greatly appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by From Snort Forums
    Hi all, I am trying to do my first install of snort on centos5 and i am having a few problems getting it to work with base. i don’t know where i have gone wrong or where to start trouble shooting. please help

Code:
    [root@localhost loic]# /sbin/service snort status
    snort (pid 2962) is running...
    [root@localhost loic]# /sbin/service barnyard status
    barnyard is stopped
    [root@localhost loic]# /sbin/service barnyard start
    Starting Barnyard: Barnyard Version 0.2.0 (Build 32)

[FAILED]
    [root@localhost loic]# /usr/local/bin/barnyard -c /etc/snort/barnyard.conf -g /etc/snort/gen-msg.map -s /etc/snort/sid-msg.map -d /var/log/snort -f snort.log -w /var/log/snort/barnyard.waldo -D
    Barnyard Version 0.2.0 (Build 32)
    [root@localhost loic]# /sbin/service barnyard status
    barnyard is stopped
    [root@localhost loic]#

Ok, I am starting to think it might be my switch that is the problem :S its a D-Link DES-1026G I reconstructed the TAP as per the picture below. and what I found is that only when i connect the tap closest to the switch it fails. I then did the opposite and again the one closest to the switch fails.

Well I posted on the snort.org forums asking for help. but i am still waiting for a reply. below is my post. if you have any ideas on what could be going wrong it would be greatly appreciated
    That tap looks pretty good. It could be your switch acting funny.

I haven't played with Barnyard, I'm gonna download it and see what it does. I'll post back some results.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast