Thread: Bt3 won't boot

ok, so I installed bt3 to the hdd... worked fine...

was booting, rebooting, everything was great...
    then I did an update using fast-track, the update everything in slapt-get one...

upon reboot... I WAS getting "Intel ISA PCIC probe: not found." over and over when it was trying to boot, and it would hang at that point...

so I booted to the usb drive, and fixed that following a guide on google... now... no more of that but now the last 2 lines it hangs at and refuses to boot after are...

"touch: setting times of '/var/run/utmp' : Function not implemented"
    and
    "Using /etc/random-seed to initialize /dev/urandom."

and then it just sits there... went to a friends for a couple hours, came back it was still sitting there...

and thats where I'm at now...
    and I did search but this forum doesn't allow for specific searching (like using quotes to get an exact string) or at least it didn't work for me... cause I found nothing similar...

umm... any files I could post so people may be able to help figure out why I can't boot?

anything?

Maybe that will help you.
    I found that in linuxquestions forum:

Just as an FYI - it is Very important to carefully follow upgrade procedures correctly when upgrading to -current. Specifically, make sure you move your /etc/rc.d/rc.udev.new file to rc.udev

The new udev apparently operates in a new way (which I haven't explored, so if anyone knows what's changed, please add to this thread), and the new init script is necessary to reflect those changes.

I forgot to update my new init scripts, and my system hanged on the next bootup at the echo

"Using /etc/random-seed to initialize /dev/urandom" .

I booted up a live cd to check my log at /var/log/messages , which showed a very scary message -

init: open(/dev/console): No such file or directory

So if you're experiencing these symptoms, definitely check that you've got the latest rc.udev script running at bootup so that it will create all the necessary devices for startup. A small live cd like Slax will do the trick - mount your root partition and copy over the new udev script (which should be installed with the latest udev package).
    Seems to be an update error that has to be fixed manually.
    Greez
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

well seems to have partially fixed that problem, but it also seems like there are other issues... any chance you could link that thread?

as I'm still getting...

a buncha "Intel ISA PCIC probe: not found." messages
    "Databook TCIC-2 PCMCIA probe: not found"
    "Starting sysklogd daemons: /usr/sbin/syslogd Intel ISA PCIC probe: not found."
    "/usr/sbin/klogd -c 3 -x"
    "Triggering udev events: /sbin/udevadm trigger --retry-failed"

but then it does boot up.. after about 60 seconds of sitting at that last one..

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy80 View Post
    well seems to have partially fixed that problem, but it also seems like there are other issues... any chance you could link that thread?

as I'm still getting...

a buncha "Intel ISA PCIC probe: not found." messages
    "Databook TCIC-2 PCMCIA probe: not found"
    "Starting sysklogd daemons: /usr/sbin/syslogd Intel ISA PCIC probe: not found."
    "/usr/sbin/klogd -c 3 -x"
    "Triggering udev events: /sbin/udevadm trigger --retry-failed"

but then it does boot up.. after about 60 seconds of sitting at that last one..
    Here is the link but i already quoted the interesting post:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/be-careful-with-current-and-udev-130-675874/

Another advice: Simply google the Error Strings. I get tons of search results.
    Greez
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Thanks =)

looks as though I'll have to re-install... well, now I know better than to use slackware-current.. well... in conjunction with fast-tracks update anyway (as that just updates everything ignoring excludes and whatnot)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy80 View Post
    Thanks =)

looks as though I'll have to re-install... well, now I know better than to use slackware-current.. well... in conjunction with fast-tracks update anyway (as that just updates everything ignoring excludes and whatnot)
    Mh yesterday i did a total fast-track update too, and there were no errors for me,so it won't be an usual error.
    But maybe the reinstall would be the best choice for you. Good luck

well, just curious were your sources for the update all set to use slackware-current?

that was what my problem was (or so it seems..) as I did the slapt-get update through fast-track but all my sources were set for slackware-current..