Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another distro question...

Developer

excellent choice. If you need any assistance feel free to PM me or better yet get me on the #remote-exploit IRC channel ( I live on it).

Cool bro, I appreciate it!

I found a nice site today that may help people choose the distro that best suits them.

Linux Distribution Chooser

I was given the option of two, Gentoo and Slackware :)

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by BOFH139 View Post
    I found a nice site today that may help people choose the distro that best suits them.

Linux Distribution Chooser

I was given the option of two, Gentoo and Slackware
    I was given Mandriva, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu and OpenSuse, which is none of the ones I actually use. Fedora is about the closest one to CentOS.

That link should be a Sticky and anyone that comes along asking about Distro's should be pointed to it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

W00t! Gentoo up and running. After a couple of days. The largest issue I had was the gdm kept kicking me out, telling me I had only been using it for less than 10 seconds, and kick me back to the login manager. Found a few hundred posts on the forums over at Gentoo with the same issue. For me, I had no default directory assigned to my user, missing the /home. Went in, created that, deleted the .Xauthority, and bammer, in business!

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

I was given Gentoo and Slackware. Ive used Slackware for a while now and it is in fact the first distro I've ever used. Haven't been brave enough to finish my Gentoo install though but I think I'll be quite happy with it.

I decided to give gentoo a go yesterday, and after a late night, lots of coffee and 2 false starts ive finally got me a very fast system up and running.

I decided to go with the minimal install cd. Something about installing linux without an installer just appealed to me.
    If video games influenced behavior, we'd all be wandering round darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music...............

Quote Originally Posted by KaYoS View Post
    I decided to give gentoo a go yesterday, and after a late night, lots of coffee and 2 false starts ive finally got me a very fast system up and running.

I decided to go with the minimal install cd. Something about installing linux without an installer just appealed to me.
    How did it go for ya? What did you encounter on your false starts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12