Thread: Full blown install in USB?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Full blown install in USB?

I installed BT4 final on my USB in the persistent mode working according to the tutorials (mainly the video, at offensive-security). my USB is 8gb and i parted 1.5gb for the bt4, and another 0.5gb for the casper-rw file (for persistence).
    of course 512MB is generally not enough for it. but i need the other 6gb for file storage.

However, the casper-rw is getting full pretty fast, and even small changes such as using FF3.5, or changing few gui options seem to take lot of space. (not sure that is the reason, but it certainly getting filled up fast, and besides those thing, I haven't done much).

As well, I would like to update packages, but doing so would fill up my casper partition in an instant, and following the tutorials that are mentioned about modifying a live CD, would mean that I would need to update and install the new live CD again to the USB, or, in case I would give up on USB-edition, to burn it to a new DVD every time I update.

So, the main question is: Is there a way to install the BT4 completely to a usb ? I assume it's like installing to a hard disk, but how much space do I need? and is there anything else I need to think about or change in order to make this work?

Also, if there are other options or ideas that can help me with the situation, I'm open to suggestions.

Sorry for the bad english :\ and for being an not-really-knowing-over-the-head noob

Default Re: Full blown install in USB?

Yes, you can devote the whole drive to BT4. My USB uses the whole 8GB. The /boot partition is 1.5 GB and the remaining 6.5 GB is the / partition. 8GB USB drives are cheap. The simple solution is to buy one and use it for BT4 exclusively.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

of course, but I was thinking about a solution that might won't force me into buying another piece. I don't know where you got the idea that 8GB is cheap. where I live it does cost a sum of money that I would rather exploit for other uses.

anyway, I think that even using the whole USB just for BT won't do any good the way I installed it. If the Casper-rw ext3 file system is getting filled up after few weeks, just because I installed a newer version of FF 3.5 and did an update, something is problematic here. A 6.5GB for casper-rw would be filled in something like two months.

My conclusion was that the casper-rw ext3 file system method for creating a live cd with persistent changes is not what I need. I'm not sure exactly what I do need, but I was thinking about a way to install BT like any other linux (BTW, I have no idea how to do it, Links would be great, although I surely would check google.)

I might even consider to indeed buy another 8gb USB just for BT4. but still using it for live cd with persistent changes probably would get me to the same place in the end. so I'm looking for other solutions.

BTW thorn, you said you have /boot partition, and / partition. could you elaborate or give links to tutorials or explanations what exactly you did? maybe it's what I'm looking for.

Yes use the install.sh on your dvd to set up a full install to your USB make sure you follow the directions and read.. mine is up and running just fine that way...

Quote Originally Posted by greenblast View Post
    of course 512MB is generally not enough for it. but i need the other 6gb for file storage.
    Use the whole 8gb for BT4, then you can use the free space on / partition to store data like any other USB storage device.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by cr1p70 View Post
    Yes use the install.sh on your dvd to set up a full install to your USB make sure you follow the directions and read.. mine is up and running just fine that way...

cool, how much space does it takes?

Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    Use the whole 8gb for BT4, then you can use the free space on / partition to store data like any other USB storage device.
    Sure, I think I forgot to note this at a previous post, but the other partition is FAT32, and accessible by windows. so I can use it from the BT4 while running it from USB, and from windows (for file storage.).

I know that I can also read ext3 from windows, but you need a certain driver for it, and since my work method is using different computers every time, at places where I don't have permission to install things, installing a driver is not an option.

cool, how much space does it takes?
    About 4.5GB.

Sure, I think I forgot to note this at a previous post, but the other partition is FAT32, and accessible by windows. so I can use it from the BT4 while running it from USB, and from windows (for file storage.).

I know that I can also read ext3 from windows, but you need a certain driver for it, and since my work method is using different computers every time, at places where I don't have permission to install things, installing a driver is not an option.
    You should be able to squeeze at least a 2GB FAT32 partition out of a 8GB drive. It would look like this:

/boot (FAT32) 1.5GB
    / (ext3) 4.5GB
    Windows use (FAT32) 2GB

A word of caution: If your job doesn't involve infosec, your employer may look at your use of a drive containing BT to be subject to disciplinary action. I know at least one place where it would be considered grounds for firing for regular users. If that's the case with your work, you might be better off just having a "work only" drive that only contains a Windows partition.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    A word of caution: If your job doesn't involve infosec, your employer may look at your use of a drive containing BT to be subject to disciplinary action. I know at least one place where it would be considered grounds for firing for regular users. If that's the case with your work, you might be better off just having a "work only" drive that only contains a Windows partition.
    Our Draconian policy would actually have a user beaten to a pulp and then fired (with a torch), for even thinking of such things.
    Seriously though, any soft/hardware that is brought onto our premises constitutes not only to being seized but grounds for being fired. Of course not everyone works in a TS level government job. But OP think about what you may get your self into before you get to excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel.Amael View Post
    Seriously though, any soft/hardware that is brought onto our premises constitutes not only to being seized but grounds for being fired. Of course not everyone works in a TS level government job.
    we actually hand out not only pink slips but jail time for security infractions where i work. and yes, it's government - a military facility, to be more precise... so they can do just about anything they want.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.