Thread: Up-To-Date ATI Driver How-To

Just burned his ISO

Default Up-To-Date ATI Driver How-To

READ THIS FIRST
    I am doing a step-by-step for installing the official ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 driver. it's a walkthrough for this driver, but I can't guarantee it will be even remotely similiar. Personally, I would like you to read through the walkthrough before doing anything at all, just to familiarize yourself with the steps beforehand.

Also, i would personally feel better if someone who really knows what they are doing to look this over and approve of it.

this should be done in an environment where there is a "lot" of space to work with, i used my 4GB thumbdrive with BT3F on it.

first off, you're going to need the driver, so you can open up google and search around (only saying JGI seems to be the forum spirit), or if someone with more than 15 posts would be so kind to post the direct links i have, i'll email them to you.

i copied the .run file into a folder named "ati", which was on the Desktop (the full path to the .run was /root/Desktop/ati/). if you're as new to this as i was about 2 weeks ago, you might want to set everything up like i do so you can follow the steps.

first "cd" to the directory where the .run is, then "ls" to double check it's there. if you see the .run when you enter "ls" (my settings are all default, so the colors should be accurate too) you're good to go
    Code:
    bt ~ # cd /root/Desktop/ati/
    bt ati # ls
    ati-driver-installer-8-9-x86.x86_64.run*
    bt ati # chmod +x ati-driver-installer-8-9-x86.x86_64.run
    bt ati #
    we need to create a "Distribution Specific Driver Package" (pretty descriptive huh?), so, while still in the directory, run the script with:
    Code:
    bt ati # ./ati-driver-installer-8-9-x86.x86_64.run --listpkg
    this will list all the packages that can be generated. BT3F is Slackware, so i guess we're lucky there.

Code:
    bt ati # ./ati-driver-installer-8-9-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Slackware/Only_Module
    --There will be a lot of technical text here--
    bt ati # ls
    ati-driver-installer-8-9-x86.x86_64.run* fglrx-module-8.532-x86-1_kernel_2.6.215.tgz
    bt ati #
    ok, hopefully your output looks a bit like the above. if you see the .tgz file you're in business. the rest of this is adapted from an awesome video tutorial made by "balding_parrot" on these forums, even though he spelled it "blading_parrot" in the video =P

the syntax for tgz2lzm is tgz2lzm <.tgz filename> <.lzm filename>
    Code:
    bt ati # tgz2lzm fglrx-module-8.532-x86-1_kernel_2.6.215.tgz ati.lzm
    --There will be a lot of technical text here--
    bt ati # ls
    ati-driver-installer-8-9-x86.x86_64.run* ati.lzm fglrx-module-8.532-x86-1_kernel_2.6.215.tgz
    bt ati #
    now, we're going to leave the comfort of the command-line and go into the GUI world. open up the ati folder on your desktop, and right-click then copy ati.lzm. open up Konqueror (the blue circle with what look like gear-teeth around it. bottom left of the window), click Storage Media, open your thumbdrive, and copy it into /BT3/modules/.

lean back, put your feet up. you're done.

Could you possibly share that ati.lzm file? The one I got from the wiki page keeps saying its corrupt After I do --buildpkg Slackware/Only_Module I get an error

ERROR: i don't have that module
    I hate Google.

Just burned his ISO

apparently, i didn't save it when i wrote the tutorial. email me (from my CP) and i'll build you one tomorrow
    [CENTER][B][COLOR=Black][COLOR=DarkOrange]CPU - Core Duo T2300[/COLOR] Wireless - Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG[/COLOR][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black]
    Wired - NetLink BCM5789 Gigabit Ethernet[/COLOR] [COLOR=DarkOrange]VGA - Radeon Mobility X1600[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkOrange]Disks - Western Digital Caviar 250Gb[/COLOR] Optical - Pioneer DVR-K06RS[/COLOR][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Mortifix View Post
    Could you possibly share that ati.lzm file? The one I got from the wiki page keeps saying its corrupt After I do --buildpkg Slackware/Only_Module I get an error

ERROR: i don't have that module
    do you do JUST "--buildpkg Slackware/Only_Module" or do you do "./ati-driver-installer-8-9-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Slackware/Only_Module" from the directory of the .run file?

check your email in about 2 minutes
    [CENTER][B][COLOR=Black][COLOR=DarkOrange]CPU - Core Duo T2300[/COLOR] Wireless - Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG[/COLOR][COLOR=Black][COLOR=Black]
    Wired - NetLink BCM5789 Gigabit Ethernet[/COLOR] [COLOR=DarkOrange]VGA - Radeon Mobility X1600[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkOrange]Disks - Western Digital Caviar 250Gb[/COLOR] Optical - Pioneer DVR-K06RS[/COLOR][/B]
    [/CENTER]