Thread: No GUI

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation No GUI

Before I start writing out this thread, yes I am fairly new to Linux, but I have indeed read a lot about my problem with no luck.

I am currently running the pre-release version of Backtrack 4 from a USB drive. I used a video tutorial which I would link if this wasn't my first post. I'll try to put some spaces in the URL here:
    www .BackTrack Linux. offensive-security. com/videos/backtrack-usb-install-video/backtrack-usb-install.html
    (Please remove it if I'm breaking a rule here, It's not my intent to trick anyone into clicking a link, so it is the very first link in Google if you search for 'backtrack 4 persistent install video'

Anyway, I can get to the command line just fine and all my commands work perfectly. However since I am new to linux, I don't know all of the commands to utilize the tools, or even get my wireless adapter working. A GUI would be a lot more intuitive for setting up everything before I try to do everything from the command prompt.

I do not have any optical medium on this netbook, so trying to use the CD/DVD is not an option.

Once I got the USB drive installed correctly I attempted to boot it on the netbook. I got the the prompt, and remembering my experience from Backtrack 3 (which worked like a charm), used the command 'startx' to launch KDE. However, this time all I got was a black screen with what appeared to be a white underscore in the top left. From here I cannot input any commands and nothing happens, I am forced to perform a hard reset.

After doing a very short amount of research I learned about 'fix-vesa.' This is the strange part. I rebooted into BT4, ran 'fix-vesa' and 'startx' and it worked. I was able to use all of the applications and utilize the command line functions I could think of. However, after rebooting, 'startx' no longer works. Neither does a combination of 'fix-vesa' and 'startx.' I get the same symptoms as before: Black screen with a white underscore in the top left.

A friend made build with BT4 final that works on his machine, but not on mine. So it is definitely a problem with my netbook.

~Nemesis

Specs:
    It's an HP 2133. Don't have any information other than that.
    Last edited by Nemesis; 02-18-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Default Re: No GUI

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    I am currently running the pre-release version of Backtrack 4 from a USB drive.
    BT4 Pre-Final isn't supported anymore. Although your friend has made a BT4F install and it didn't work, that doesn't mean it won't ever work. My advice is to try and install BT4 Final to a usb drive yourself. Be sure to check the MD5checksum before installing BT4.

I am currently running the pre-release version of Backtrack 4 from a USB drive.
    snayler is correct, we do not support anything older than backtrack 4 final on these forums, so you're going to need to find a way to upgrade your distro.
    A GUI would be a lot more intuitive for setting up everything before I try to do everything from the command prompt.
    i disagree; imho, you're never going to learn anything if it's all in a gui. my recommendation is that you start from the command line interface, and work your way up to the gui.

ran 'fix-vesa' and 'startx' and it worked. I was able to use all of the applications and utilize the command line functions I could think of. However, after rebooting, 'startx' no longer works. Neither does a combination of 'fix-vesa' and 'startx.' I get the same symptoms as before: Black screen with a white underscore in the top left.
    are you using a live version, or a hard drive installed version? let us know if this problem persists once you upgrade to final.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Just burned his ISO

I'm having a similar problem, I'm trying to become familiar with linux/backtrack at the same time.

I have installed BT4 final to an HD

When i run command line startx, i get a flash of garbled video then a black screen with no cursor

When i run fixvesa and then startx, it loads fine however the "screen size" tab on the panel does not display the same resolutions as it did on the live CD. the highest resolution after running fixvesa is 1024X768 and a refresh rate of 0 hz, but i know my monitor can support more than this. When i bounced BT to an HD... i was in a higher resolution (1300 something i think). I think BT is trying to load into that resolution but is having trouble... i dunnoh though

I know this isnt a backtrack issue, it is a xorg issue (as far as i know). wondering if anyone could help a n00b out here.

Quote Originally Posted by al_capwn View Post
    I know this isnt a backtrack issue, it is a xorg issue (as far as i know). wondering if anyone could help a n00b out here.
    With pleasure:

you are correct, this is an xorg configuration issue. answer yourself these questions:
    1) what video card do i have?
    2) if i have an nvidia chipset, did i search the forums for xx_spiidey_xx's nvidia install guide?
    3) if my #1 isn't nvidia, do i have the drivers for #1?
    4) what is the max resolution my #1 supports?
    5) did i set that in /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

these questions can be answered using the following basics: lspci, google, forum search.
    Last edited by xX_Spiidey_Xx; 03-07-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Quotable n00b...
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Ahh Spiidey, I see we have pulled out our "BIG FLASHING BANNER" again

I still need to make mine as good as yours though...

OP: Like Spiidey said, we need to know if you installed it to your HD, or if its a live USB, or a persistent USB. That way we know if the "fix-vesa" command needs to be explained.
    To figure out what you do have (on your USB), I think I only need to ask one question. When you installed BT4 on it, did you only use a tool like UNetBootin? Or, did you do something else to it?
    Common Knowledge: Username, "root". Password, "toor". "startx" gives you a GUI, and "fix-vesa" will fix BT if you have no GUI. Start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking start" and check your IP settings with "ifconfig -a". "dhclient" will automatically use DHCP for your IP. Google is your friend.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by micole View Post
    Ahh Spiidey, I see we have pulled out our "BIG FLASHING BANNER" again

I still need to make mine as good as yours though...

OP: Like Spiidey said, we need to know if you installed it to your HD, or if its a live USB, or a persistent USB. That way we know if the "fix-vesa" command needs to be explained.
    To figure out what you do have (on your USB), I think I only need to ask one question. When you installed BT4 on it, did you only use a tool like UNetBootin? Or, did you do something else to it?
    I answered this in my OP, but I have it installed on a persistent USB using the video I linked in my OP. Since then I have redone it with the final version and replaced the pre-release.