Thread: Wusb54gc doesn't seem to p/u handshakes?

Just burned his ISO

Angry

I am sort of a newbie, so first I will apologize.

I have bought the wusb54gc usb dongle and used it succesfully to crack my wep key on my router, though getting a handshake has been my main problem.

I know injection and deathentication works because I checked my logs on my router, and for every packet i send it deathenticates (it even gave vista the blue screen ) I have changed my speed on 18M auto using the iwconfig command because kismet told me that was the max, and changed my cards channel to my router though the only time I get the handshake is if I use the correct the info through wpa_supplicant...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i would like to confirm though that when I used wireshark it did not show me a full complete handshake with the same card, j/w if i should update the rt73 driver to ver 3.0.1 and patch it???

Quote Originally Posted by CHARGER RT2 View Post
    I am sort of a newbie, so first I will apologize.

I have bought the wusb54gc usb dongle and used it succesfully to crack my wep key on my router, though getting a handshake has been my main problem.

I know injection and deathentication works because I checked my logs on my router, and for every packet i send it deathenticates (it even gave vista the blue screen ) I have changed my speed on 18M auto using the iwconfig command because kismet told me that was the max, and changed my cards channel to my router though the only time I get the handshake is if I use the correct the info through wpa_supplicant...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    i would like to confirm though that when I used wireshark it did not show me a full complete handshake with the same card, j/w if i should update the rt73 driver to ver 3.0.1 and patch it???

could you perhaps list what steps you use whem trying to get a handshake? You said you are using kismet which I rarely do, but I know that kismet doesnt have an alert feature when you get the handshake like airodump-ng does. You can still get a handshake in kismet but you need to find the handshake normally. I have also found that the quiality of your connection is one of the most important factors in capturing the handshake.

Try this, put yourself physically in the middle, between your client and router. open kismet and airodump and de-auth. Airodump will let you know if you got the 4-way and you can then check kismet to see what it looks like.

If it isnt working keep messing with your settings and repeat the experiment till you find one that does. Even if you do everything perfectly grabbing a 4-way will still fail on occasion, so dont give up after a try or two.

As for injection I dont think you need it to work for you to grab a 4-way, you could just put your card in monitor mode and get on your target client and manually connect over and over again.

Please explain further about what you are doing to WPA supplicant to make it work for you. I really dont think it should make any difference since it is only used for connecting to a WPA network once you have the password (but I could be wrong)

Just burned his ISO

these are the following steps I took:
    [
    airmon-ng start rausb0

airodump-ng -c 1 --bssid 00:14:6C:7E:40:80 -w psk rausb0
    ]

and then i manually connect and disconnect about 10 times, it catches all the packets but not the handshake.

Do I need to patch the driver?

the handshake i got by using my key in the wpa supplicant:
    [

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
    ssid="my network"
    psk="my key"
    }

then I ran:

wpa_supplicant -c/path/to/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dwext -iwlan0

and airodump always catches that four way handshake, but then again I am using the same card to catch it with.

p.s. i am also using aircrack on ubuntu hardy with the updated intrepid kernel, and the rt73 3.0.1 version of the rausb driver, the same event is taking place

Just burned his ISO

Default Solved

I just want to say thanks and that I found out something new, as it turns out the cheap trend net pci wireless adapter on my computer (client) sucked in the hanshake, i saw it off of wireshark but i could never catch it with airodump, but when i plugged in a belkin usb adapter and as soon as it connected I achieved the handshake...

I've been fighting this for a week and was really frustrated, i guess the hardware is what counts.

sLiPpErY

I'm looking abut buying the wusb54gc soon hopefully in a few hours, so I hope this problem is resolved...