Thread: Cracked key xx:xx:xx:xx:xx???

Just burned his ISO

Default Cracked key xx:xx:xx:xx:xx???

Hi guys, I've just started using BT4 today and was trying to crack my routers key, when I finally achieved my goal a message appeared saying something like "cracked 100% complete Key: [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx]" (where the x's are numbers) and was way too happy but at the same time confused: How was I able to know what this string code meant in human words????? I ran so many searches via google but no avail, I even found an html converter from hex to ascii but the result was nonsense.

Is there someone out there that can help me solve this issue???

Any help will be much apprecieted.

Keep up the good work!!!

Default Re: Cracked key xx:xx:xx:xx:xx???

The key is returned in hex, while most routers allow you enter a password/passphrase in ascii.

Just burned his ISO

Yeah, so I learned later by searching the web, but my problem is How to change it back to a passfrase that makes sense?, since I tried converting this hex string but got stuff like xx??$. I mean, I know the password but that's just because its my own router but How could I get the password from the hex string?

Quote Originally Posted by albertnet View Post
    Hi guys, I've just started using BT4 today and was trying to crack my routers key, when I finally achieved my goal a message appeared saying something like "cracked 100% complete Key: [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx]" (where the x's are numbers) and was way too happy but at the same time confused: How was I able to know what this string code meant in human words????? I ran so many searches via google but no avail, I even found an html converter from hex to ascii but the result was nonsense.

Is there someone out there that can help me solve this issue???

Any help will be much apprecieted.

Keep up the good work!!!
    By what you're saying, my first impression is that the network isn't yours. If it was you would recognize the key.

While theprez is correct, the actual key is those numbers -- that is what you enter as your WEP key. You should recognize those numbers because that is what you entered into your AP configuration before you began cracking your own AP.

Just burned his ISO

There usually is an option (Hex/ASCII) in the router menu when entering the WEP-key.
    At least in the routers i've been working with.

trellis

There are no ASCII keys in WEP, really. The ASCII string is just being converted into a hex value by the means of an algorithm. More here: WEP - Wireless Encryption Key Calculator
    Long story short, your hex key is valid and genuine - use it in WICD to get online: just lose the ':'

Just burned his ISO

hey man, the xx:xx:xx:xx:xx are the keys

meaning that you need to cancel the ":"

example:

11:22:33:44:55 >>>> 1122334455

and copy 1122334455 and paste them on the password area in Wcid network manager

If you need any more help, just ask

Just burned his ISO

Talking Re: Cracked key xx:xx:xx:xx:xx???

Hey guys, you got that right. Thank you all for your support. I got everything upside down It's because my network has wpa encryption and this network was wep (suddenly realize my obvious mistake). So I assumed that every key either wep or wpa was word based, later on I typed the string without the ":" and voila! that was it. So as you can see, even though I hate it, I was a neophyte Thank you so much for correcting me, by the way, trellis and capon, you guys are way too cool , keep that way!

Fernando R.

because my network has wpa encryption and this network was wep
    yes like Snayler said, it wasn't his network