Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing BT3Final on Vmware - 10 easy steps

Just burned his ISO

Default Installing BT3Final on Vmware - 10 easy steps

1.Create Other 2.6 kernel Virtual Machine.
    2.Boot from LiveCD
    3. Run Qtparted, create 2 partitions:
    --- /dev/sda1 ext3
    --- /dev/sda2 swap

Code:
    bt ~ # mkdir /mnt/bt3
    Code:
    bt ~ # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/bt3
    Code:
    bt ~ # cp --preserve -R /{bin,boot,dev,home,pentest,root,usr,etc,lib,opt,sbin,var} /mnt/bt3/
    bt ~ # mkdir /mnt/bt3/{mnt,proc,sys,tmp}
    bt ~ # chmod 777 /mnt/bt3/tmp
    Code:
    bt ~ # mount -t proc proc /mnt/bt3/proc/
    Code:
    bt ~ # chroot /mnt/bt3/ /bin/bash
    Code:
    bt ~ # lilo -v
    Code:
    bt ~ # exit
    bt ~ # reboot

Hi RedPenguin,

nice first post.

bt ~ # lilo -v
    Is there no need to edit the lilo.conf for VM?
    Don't know didn't make an VM install yet.

If not, Keep it on , and perhaps make it sticky
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Just burned his ISO

yeap, there is no need to edit the lilo.conf for VM.

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb

Video:

Installing BackTrack3Final to HardDrive

http:\\code.google.com/p/infosectraining/downloads/detail?name=Installing_BackTrack3_2HardDrive.zip

There's an easier way, with only 2 steps.

1. Download the B|T3 vmware image from the Back|Track site.
    2. Start the image in vmware.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Barry, would that work without possing any problems with the hardware?

for now i used VMX builder on xp and im trying to run bt from a live cd at the same time but when i run the shell i seem to have no access to my wifi ath nor my bluetooth... any suggestions?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    Barry, would that work without possing any problems with the hardware?

for now i used VMX builder on xp and im trying to run bt from a live cd at the same time but when i run the shell i seem to have no access to my wifi ath nor my bluetooth... any suggestions?
    thanks
    Unless they are USB connectable you will not be able to give the guest OS full control over these devices.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

thanks for the reply Tron, but my bluetooth is a usb dongle and im still not able to use it, any ideas of how i can set the guest OS to work with it?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    thanks for the reply Tron, but my bluetooth is a usb dongle and im still not able to use it, any ideas of how i can set the guest OS to work with it?
    thanks
    You will have to make sure that VMware recognizes the bluetooth dongle which depending on whether you are using VMware Player or VMware server is done a bit differently. If you however plug in the bluetooth dongle after booting up the guest OS, VMware should automatically take control of the device.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

XxDarkxNessxX

ok..guys i got this done installed a runing window xp and.. vmware runing the backtrack.. same time.. but there no way i dont see why i cant.. get my usb wg111t to work. i open wireless assistant it's keep giving me "No usebale wireless devices found" even tho my usb card are on . so.. i saw the other topic showed set up the vmware usb wireless to work on backtrack 3. 1 step i click on vm in vmware 2nd step removeable devices 3rd. netgeear wg111t 4th disconnect from host . or connect from host . it's still saying "no useable wireless devices found" so i open a shell type in airmon-ng in the command line it's interface chipset driver it's show nothing.. under it. i been searching over the forum .. i couldnt found much information about my problem.. so what did i done wrong?? shouldnt it be reconize it automaticly? please helps thanks so much. now am still searching around the forum for my problems..when i firgured out i let you guys know thanks so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast