Thread: Backtrack 3 final on external hard drive FULL INSTALL without changes.lzm

Default Backtrack 3 final on external hard drive FULL INSTALL without changes.lzm

Is it possible to have a fully usable backtrack 3 on an external hard drive as it would be on my internal HD. I don't want it to be a live version as i cannot stand them! I've been trying to use my USB stick as a full version of BT but so-far no luck and i wonder if this will be different for external HDD.

Thanks

Yes it is possible! I have it on my internal HD and you would just have to make sure to set the correct location on your internal boot loader to load the OS from your external

Like if your using grub it would be

hd1,0
    instead of hd0,X

And you can install it just as you would from the command prompt for BT2
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

Thanks :-D. I had a feeling it would be possible but my experience with BT3 full install on another media hasn't been successful :-( tried it on my USB stick and it didnt work, kept getting KERNEL PANIC! ARRRR well glad that i know now :-D. I shall get an external HDD soon :-D.

You can, check out this link:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14751

You'll need about 4GB of space for the installation. It isn't a live install, so all changes are saved, and the system isn't compress in lzm files.
    ThinkPad T400