Thread: Dell Inspiron 9400 wifi

Default Dell Inspiron 9400 wifi

I'm using a dell Inspiron 9400 Laptop, with the broadcom wifi chipset. Back Track recognizes my card and the bcm43xx driver is loaded. I made sure the card is in managed mode when I try to connect to a wireless network using wep, But no luck. It just tries to obtain an IP and doesn't go any farther. Ive Looked at the BackTrack wiki and it states "Load 3945 has to be used before the built-in wireless interface can be used". What does this mean? Can anyone help me please?

-thanks in advanced

Quote Originally Posted by hightech View Post
    I'm using a dell Inspiron 9400 Laptop, with the broadcom wifi chipset. Back Track recognizes my card and the bcm43xx driver is loaded. I made sure the card is in managed mode when I try to connect to a wireless network using wep, But no luck. It just tries to obtain an IP and doesn't go any farther. Ive Looked at the BackTrack wiki and it states "Load 3945 has to be used before the built-in wireless interface can be used". What does this mean? Can anyone help me please?

-thanks in advanced
    Hi hightech,
    are u sure you have the broadcom chipset? I have the same Laptop and my Chipset is the Intel 3945abg ....
    How did you test managed mode?

My commands to connect an AP with WEP are:

Code:
    modprobe -r ipwraw && modprobe iwl3945
    iwconfig wlan0 key yourkey
    dhclient wlan0
    Maybe your ap isn't running a dhcp server, so try to set the ip manually.
    If nothing helps, it might be usefull to see your step by step commands for further help.
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Quote Originally Posted by hightech View Post
    Ive Looked at the BackTrack wiki and it states "Load 3945 has to be used before the built-in wireless interface can be used". What does this mean? Can anyone help me please?

-thanks in advanced
    If in-fact you are using the 3945 chipset then the Load 3945 means just that, run load 3945 before using the card for anything to load the patched driver....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Windows says its a broadcom, and it works great with windows. I tried modprobe broadcom and it works, Buggy tho. Really slow and disconnects alot.Ive heard alot of bad reviews for linux & broadcom,I'm going to go out and buy a new card. Appreciate the help guys