Thread: How do I go about this?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default How do I go about this?

Hey everyone, once again I find myself coming to the community for help . I have a program that requires the rtl8180 drivers, and my alfa uses the rtl8187. So (and this is the first thing I am unsure of so please correct me if it's the wrong way to go about this) I'm thinking I can install the rtl8180 drivers and switch between the two. Now I'm not sure if this is possible to begin with, but I thought something like rmmod rtl8187 to unload my current drivers and modprobe rtl8180 was the correct way to do this.

So if thats the correct way to do this, then my next step was to get the rtl8180 drivers. I have them downloaded at the moment, but when I go to compile it says :

Code:
    make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
    So I figured that I needed the kernel. I downloaded the 2.6.21.5 kernel from kernel org because after downloading the one from the wiki page I found out from the readme that that kernel is only for adding packaged to bt and is not the full kernel. Assuming all the above is right once again, my question is how to install correct the kernel source so I can compile and use the rtl8180 drivers as well. The readme for the kernel says :
    Code:
       To configure and build the kernel use:
       cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.N
       make O=/home/name/build/kernel menuconfig
       make O=/home/name/build/kernel
       sudo make O=/home/name/build/kernel modules_install install
    So do I just go into my newly downloaded kernel folder and perform those commands, or is that even right to begin with? I'm just a little hessitant to start installing a kernel on my current bt setup incase it messes things up.

-Thanks all, I know that was a lengthy post, any help is much appreciated

Just burned his ISO

2 day bump for help?

Developer

You need the kernel "Sources" not the entire vanilla kernel. They are available on the wiki in a .lzm format. just install that and it will solve that make error.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    You need the kernel "Sources" not the entire vanilla kernel. They are available on the wiki in a .lzm format. just install that and it will solve that make error.

thanks for the reply. I have done
    Code:
    lzm2dir kernel.lzm /
    now I unzipped the rtl8180 files, and it still seems to have an issue
    Code:
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build SUBDIRS=/root/rtl8180_1.5_release26 MODVERDIR=/root/rtl8180_1.5_release26 modules
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5'
    scripts/Makefile.build:17: /root/rtl8180_1.5_release26/Makefile: No such file or directory
    make[2]: *** No rule to make target '/root/rtl8180_1.5_release26/Makefile'. Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5'
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    its acting like there is no makefile. But when I enter to the newly unziped folder for the rtl8180 there is; however, as soon as I type 'make' I get the above error and nothing is in the folder anymore. Its like it moves the files first and then complains it can't find the makefile, when it was just there before I tried to make it.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm really wanting to get this program up and running. Thanks

Did you try checking out the readme? The drivers could have a special configuration step you skipped.
    ThinkPad T400

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie708 View Post
    Did you try checking out the readme? The drivers could have a special configuration step you skipped.
    Yes, I read the reame.. it just has a list of the contained files.
    Also just as a note I noticed some of the programs (or at least one did) have a rtl8180patch or something to that affect. The rtl8180 drivers aren't included with the distro and I'm going through all this for no reason am I? I just want to be able to compile the drivers lol.