Thread: VMWare/Wireless Emulation - Still a problem?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default VMWare/Wireless Emulation - Still a problem?

I remember that running the VMWare edition BT3 would not allow proper use of any of the WiFi tools due to the fact that VMWare bridges the connection instead of trying to emulate hardware control over to the running virtual machine, thus gaining internet access from the wireless card but not gaining finer controls of the card (packet injection, etc.)..

Is this still the case? I tried searching to no real good answers.

Thanks guys.

USB Wireless NIC's work perfect via VMWare.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by BOFH139 View Post
    USB Wireless NIC's work perfect via VMWare.
    because VMWare most likely can get full control over USB devices, but that doesn't answer my question.

I can assume though that since your telling me that USB devices work properly, that internal NIC's do not work due to bridging?

Quote Originally Posted by hikkakaru View Post
    because VMWare most likely can get full control over USB devices, but that doesn't answer my question.

I can assume though that since your telling me that USB devices work properly, that internal NIC's do not work due to bridging?
    This assumption is correct, VMware can only obtain full control of the wireless interface if it is connected through USB.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Im having an issue with my alfa usb device only after upgrading vmware from 6.0 to 6.5. The device will disappear from vista's device manager and then show in backtrack in managed mode so it looks like backtrack has full control. But if i try to put it into monitor mode or scan for access points, it just hangs until I unplug the device after 5 minutes of waiting. If i try to bring up lan manager too it just hangs at initializing and then crashes.

I'll install ndiswrapper and see if i can do anything with that.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    This assumption is correct, VMware can only obtain full control of the wireless interface if it is connected through USB.
    Okay, I appreciate the clarification.

I assume that this is because bridging is more-or-less forwarding TCP/IP info from the windows controlled NIC instead of having the VM'd OS have fine controls of the NIC itself, thus every TCP/IP connection is emulated towards the VM OS to look as if its just a run of the mill , connected, TCPIP connection?

I assume that this is because bridging is more-or-less forwarding TCP/IP info from the windows controlled NIC instead of having the VM'd OS have fine controls of the NIC itself, thus every TCP/IP connection is emulated towards the VM OS to look as if its just a run of the mill , connected, TCPIP connection?
    I tried about 5 times to read this sentence, but it's confusing
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Okay, I appreciate the clarification.

Yes, in order for the guest OS to be able to take full control of the wireless interface it needs to be detached from the host OS first. WMware is able to recognize an USB card and take control of it, but only able to utilize the actual connection by bridging it from the host OS in case it is an integrated card.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.