Thread: Vmware Workstation Lab:

Default Vmware Workstation Lab:

Has anyone ever set up a vmware lab involving more than one virtual machine to pen test on instead of a real-life lab at home? I was just wondering if it was theoretically possible and doesn't outweigh the effort of making a real-life lab.

e.g. Fedora Server hosts: ftp/ssh/apache / a basic unpatched XP home computer. running at the same time.

I'm pretty sure if you search you'll find info on this.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Angry

Here is some interesting information for anyone wanting to try a vmware lab:
    ethicalhacker.net/content/view/63/2/

That's about the only indepth one I could find googling. If anyone has any experience with experimenting in this fashion, that would like to contribute to this thread, please do so. It sounds like many of you don't bother with vmware and just set up real pen labs.

Quote Originally Posted by nokuku4u View Post
    Here is some interesting information for anyone wanting to try a vmware lab:
    ethicalhacker.net/content/view/63/2/

That's about the only indepth one I could find googling. If anyone has any experience with experimenting in this fashion, that would like to contribute to this thread, please do so. It sounds like many of you don't bother with vmware and just set up real pen labs.
    There actually was a thread around here on this subject but I can't find it.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Read this book ( Build Y Own Security Lab: A Field Guide for Network Testing )

which explain for you real & virtual labs
    also the Dvd contains
    1.BT3 beta
    2.Core Impact
    3.FTK ( Forensic Tool kit )
    4.Nmap
    5.Snort
    6.Wireshark
    How you spend your time is more important than how you spend your money. Money mistakes can be corrected, but time is gone forever. David Norris

Quote Originally Posted by nokuku4u View Post
    Has anyone ever set up a vmware lab involving more than one virtual machine to pen test on instead of a real-life lab at home? I was just wondering if it was theoretically possible and doesn't outweigh the effort of making a real-life lab.

e.g. Fedora Server hosts: ftp/ssh/apache / a basic unpatched XP home computer. running at the same time.
    What do you mean? You want to run vmware workstation in backtrack. It's pretty easy. I did a hadrdrive install, and installed vmware workstation, and windows xp to pentest on, rather than install backtrack on xp or vista, via vmware.

Quote Originally Posted by overide View Post
    What do you mean? You want to run vmware workstation in backtrack. It's pretty easy. I did a hadrdrive install, and installed vmware workstation, and windows xp to pentest on, rather than install backtrack on xp or vista, via vmware.
    I think what he wants to do is set up a virtual network in vmware to play with. Not necessarily in backtrack. You'll need one or two pretty high end machines to do it. They will need a crap ton of memory, pentium 4 or better. The more memory, the more virtual machines you can run on a single machine. I just read yesterday that vmware released their own "os" for servers that's only about 50Mb. That way you have a really light weight host os that leaves more room for the vm's. They say it also makes it so it's almost the same as physically running the vm's on the machine. It only works on server grade machines, but you could probably pick up a supported computer on ebay for not too much money, certainly cheaper than picking up a few separate machines.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69